🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Procurement check via email?
Page options
reasoner9214
Community Member

Procurement check via email?

Hello I’m asking before I proceed with a job or not. But I have had 2 different companies interview me via Skype. Just texting no video calls or phone calls. They sent checks that says procurement to purchase materials I need for the job via email. They want me to print the check out and cash it into my bank. Is this legit or is it a scam?
7 REPLIES 7
AndreaG

Hi Kaitlyn,

Please know that communication outside of Upwork before a contract is in place is agains the Terms of Service. We find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform. To learn more about staying safe on Upwork, check out these help articles:

I’m New Here, What Should I Know?

Staying Safe on Upwork

Report Suspicious User Activity

I also went ahead and reported the client you're referring to for the team to review and take action as per our processes.

~Andrea
Upwork

There was 2 different job companies that did this in the last 24 hours. The one said they paid the Upwork opt out fee. I’m not good at spotting scammers at all and don’t want to be scamed. Thank you
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is this legit or is it a scam?"

It is a scam. They use these checks to steal money from your bank account.

They gave me a website and under hr it lists the 2 people I’ve been talking too with their pictures. Is it still a scam but looks legit or legit?

Even though they gave me a website that’s for the company they claim. Under HR is 2 or the people I’ve been talking to about the job with their pictures. Still a scam or legit? It wouldn’t be going in the bank. It’ll be going in my PayPal which I hardly use

It's a scam. Stop looking at those websites. That's part of the scam.

Don't Google search any employee names or company names. That is another part of the scam.

The scammers copy employee names and company names off of the internet. They want you to Google these things.

One of the easiest ways to identify a scammer is this: if someone tells you he paid an Upwork opt out fee, you know that's a scammer.

Okay thank you!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths