🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Profile Feedback
Page options
41a6d108
Community Member

Profile Feedback

Hi! I was hoping some of y'all could look at my profile and give me feedback on it. 

I'm new here and am a sophomore in college with very little experience if any at all. I was wondering what are some things I could do.

Thank you so much!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zuni,

I provided some resources here, but I also wanted to provide some specific suggestions for your profile:

• Based on your noted skills, your title may not provide a full overview of your expertise. Precise titles that specify the services you offer are more likely to catch the attention of clients that need your expertise.
  • Like John said, you may not want to focus so much on your lack of experience.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. 
  • I suggest adding a portfolio with samples of your work. You can use portfolios for much more than visual mediums. Check out this article for suggestions.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
yitwail
Community Member

Zuni, I'm not a writer so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but don't mention your lack of experience at the start of the overview, and instead, emphasize your Spanish proficiency. Also, add a few examples of your writing to your portfolio. If I'm a client looking for a writer, and came across the profile of a new freelancer, I would expect some writing samples I can look at. Good luck, and steer clear of scammers, who single out new freelancers.

Community Manager

Hi Zuni,

I provided some resources here, but I also wanted to provide some specific suggestions for your profile:

• Based on your noted skills, your title may not provide a full overview of your expertise. Precise titles that specify the services you offer are more likely to catch the attention of clients that need your expertise.
  • Like John said, you may not want to focus so much on your lack of experience.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. 
  • I suggest adding a portfolio with samples of your work. You can use portfolios for much more than visual mediums. Check out this article for suggestions.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
alexis-arinze
Community Member

Zuni R wrote:

Hi! I was hoping some of y'all could look at my profile and give me feedback on it. 

I'm new here and am a sophomore in college with very little experience if any at all. I was wondering what are some things I could do.

Thank you so much!

It wouldn't hurt to add a few more writing samples. Also, in your profile descriptions, you talked a lot about how much you love writing. I love writing too but anyone can love writing. Try to focus more on your actual work experience. To successfully sell yourself, the client needs to know that you have valuable skills for the job.

(Side note: You could also be an English to Spanish transcriber or vice-versa to maximize profits.)

dbmg
Community Member

Hi Zuni,

You might already be happy with your profile now? Or still open for improvement?

But as there are no other 2021 feedback invites (despite that it's now mid July), and since I've just posted a "Feedback exchange" thread, I feel a good way to start this is: I provide some feedback first. So, here's one for you.

SHORT version of my relevant background to provide pin-pointed feedback:

1) Over 10ys been on the buying side, ie determining whether I would 1) look, and 2) move on with a profile like yours for example 😉

2) Degree in Personnel Mgmt

3) Company Auditor, ie a trained focus on accuracy and detail, consistency, clarity, transparency, and precision

4) I am a published bilingual author myself, with well over a dozen books under my belt, some of them having ONLY 5 star reviews. I LOVE writing too 😉

If good enough for you(?), here's my personal(!) feedback:

- Title: Are you SURE that Upwork's relevant algorithms will dissect the keywords of "Writer/Ghostwriter/Storyteller/Data Entry/Editor/Translator"?

- Great that you show you can write whole paragraphs, and error-free!

- However, I'd strongly suggest to also provide something for all us quick scanners, eg bullet point lists of your strengths?

- The final sentence should be (another) CTA, but a conditional sentence (your "If") is not really felt as a CTA: it doesn't motivate to click. How about this EXAMPLE: "Make sure to contact me now, so that your next project gets as much love from your readers as my books got!" ? 😉

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths