🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Profile Overview text is cut off (??)
Page options
stevewritescopy
Community Member

Profile Overview text is cut off (??)

For some odd reason, my Profile Overview text is getting cut off. Upwork is only displaying 3,099 characters of my total 3,725 characters of text. The editor indicates that I have 1,273 characters left (unused)... So what's going on?

(Character counts I'm listing include spaces.)

My impression is that we should have 5000 characters max. (??)

4 REPLIES 4
2a05aa63
Community Member

I tested it out and true, it only allows ~3000 symbols even if the validator shows 5000.

Even if it is a bug, I'd recommend having a small description with only the most important stuff since if seeing a big wall of text turns clients off.

Viacheslav, thank you for your quick reply. I'm going to ask you to escalate this to your dev team to fix, since it's a bug in your system, and we should all have 5000 characters available. I need to have that extra text. I'm a copywriter, and I appreciate that sometimes shorter text is better, but it's also a maxim that you should use the amount of text that you need to get a response. I spent a lot of time crafting my Overview text, and I don't want it cut off.

Also... If you look at the text, it's NOT a "wall of text." I've followed pro copywriter practices to make very short paragraphs -- most of them are a single sentence.

I've seen other profile Overviews that have more than what I've written. Can you please submit a support / bug fix ticket to your dev team?

Thanks

Stephen S wrote:

Viacheslav, thank you for your quick reply. I'm going to ask you to escalate this to your dev team to fix, since it's a bug in your system, and we should all have 5000 characters available. I need to have that extra text. I'm a copywriter, and I appreciate that sometimes shorter text is better, but it's also a maxim that you should use the amount of text that you need to get a response. I spent a lot of time crafting my Overview text, and I don't want it cut off.

Also... If you look at the text, it's NOT a "wall of text." I've followed pro copywriter practices to make very short paragraphs -- most of them are a single sentence.

I've seen other profile Overviews that have more than what I've written. Can you please submit a support / bug fix ticket to your dev team?

Thanks

Only staff can do that. You will have to message a moderator or Upwork staff. 

Side note: Very few clients are going to want to read that very long profile, even for copywriting. You may want to read some of the pointers on this forum for optimizing a profile for Upwork, which is different than how you'd use it on another site. 

I think very, very few clients are going to read such a long profile overview.

Look at my profile. See how long it is? That's too long!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths