cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Overview text is cut off (??)

stevewritescopy
Stephen S Member Since: May 27, 2021
1 of 5

For some odd reason, my Profile Overview text is getting cut off. Upwork is only displaying 3,099 characters of my total 3,725 characters of text. The editor indicates that I have 1,273 characters left (unused)... So what's going on?

(Character counts I'm listing include spaces.)

My impression is that we should have 5000 characters max. (??)

2a05aa63
Community Guru
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
2 of 5

I tested it out and true, it only allows ~3000 symbols even if the validator shows 5000.

Even if it is a bug, I'd recommend having a small description with only the most important stuff since if seeing a big wall of text turns clients off.

stevewritescopy
Stephen S Member Since: May 27, 2021
3 of 5

Viacheslav, thank you for your quick reply. I'm going to ask you to escalate this to your dev team to fix, since it's a bug in your system, and we should all have 5000 characters available. I need to have that extra text. I'm a copywriter, and I appreciate that sometimes shorter text is better, but it's also a maxim that you should use the amount of text that you need to get a response. I spent a lot of time crafting my Overview text, and I don't want it cut off.

Also... If you look at the text, it's NOT a "wall of text." I've followed pro copywriter practices to make very short paragraphs -- most of them are a single sentence.

I've seen other profile Overviews that have more than what I've written. Can you please submit a support / bug fix ticket to your dev team?

Thanks

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
4 of 5

Stephen S wrote:

Viacheslav, thank you for your quick reply. I'm going to ask you to escalate this to your dev team to fix, since it's a bug in your system, and we should all have 5000 characters available. I need to have that extra text. I'm a copywriter, and I appreciate that sometimes shorter text is better, but it's also a maxim that you should use the amount of text that you need to get a response. I spent a lot of time crafting my Overview text, and I don't want it cut off.

Also... If you look at the text, it's NOT a "wall of text." I've followed pro copywriter practices to make very short paragraphs -- most of them are a single sentence.

I've seen other profile Overviews that have more than what I've written. Can you please submit a support / bug fix ticket to your dev team?

Thanks

Only staff can do that. You will have to message a moderator or Upwork staff. 

Side note: Very few clients are going to want to read that very long profile, even for copywriting. You may want to read some of the pointers on this forum for optimizing a profile for Upwork, which is different than how you'd use it on another site. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

I think very, very few clients are going to read such a long profile overview.

Look at my profile. See how long it is? That's too long!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS