🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Profile Picture
Page options
cncexpress
Community Member

Profile Picture

Why do I need to upload a photo just to find a job?  This does not seem like it should have an affect on my experience and capabilities of performing a job.  My photo is not posted anywhere on the internet and don't feel that is right.  My photo should have nothing to do with being hired to do a job.

7 REPLIES 7
mtngigi
Community Member

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how you feel about it. We are all required to have profile photos if we want to use this site. It's up to you, upload a photo and have access to bid on jobs, or find sites that don't have this requirement - there are other freelance sites where you can remain anonymous.

If you don't want your photo to be anywhere on the Internet, why do you want to become a freelancer on one of the only websites anywhere that requires you to put your photo on the Internet?

It was a question. I just created the profile unaware of the fact a photo was a MUST. I won’t use the website if a photo is required. Doesn’t make sense that my photo has to b on the internet in order to find potential work. What I look like has no baring non my abilities to perform a job. Figure I’d ask the question to make sure I wasn’t missing something and there wasn’t a requirement.

Crystal:

It is a legitimate question.

There is nothing wrong with you asking about this.

Upwork DOES handle this differently than do many other websites, including many freelance work platforms.

@cncexpress wrote:
It was a question. I just created the profile unaware of the fact a photo was a MUST. I won’t use the website if a photo is required. Doesn’t make sense that my photo has to b on the internet in order to find potential work. What I look like has no baring non my abilities to perform a job. Figure I’d ask the question to make sure I wasn’t missing something and there wasn’t a requirement.

Well you are missing something "Crystal H", but on the other hand it depends on what sort of job you might be looking for. Upwork doesn't accept everyone, photo or not. Upwork particularly does not accept freelancers with phony names and profiles . . .  

@Nichola L wrote:

@cncexpress wrote:

Well you are missing something "Crystal H", but on the other hand it depends on what sort of job you might be looking for. Upwork doesn't accept everyone, photo or not. Upwork particularly does not accept freelancers with phony names and profiles . . .  

ETA: Oh dear! Well it looks as if Upwork has a little explaining to do - making a user name clearly visible and allowing it in a post - a definite Upwork glitch! 

nanuven
Community Member

Hello, welcome to an UpWork community!

Try to think like this:

How will a company hire you to do the work you need without looking at you?

What will these meetings be like?

I'm sure that when you browse the internet, you'd rather rely on articles and documents that contain pictures that represent the context.

Your photo represents you. It's your image.

If you want success as a freelancer or as a professional, just upload the most professional photo you have.

Hope this helps.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths