🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Profile Review / Job Success Score
Page options
aashysh0
Community Member

Profile Review / Job Success Score

Hi,

I am fairly new to Upwork. Been submitting proposals since past two weeks.

All the projects that appear in my search / job feed ask for a Job Success Score of 90% or more. Obviously, I would not have it since I am new to the platform. Whereas I have 20 years of experience in software development.

This is a catch 22. Not being eligible for projects because not having done projects on Upwork. I need to get started somewhere 🙂

So please help me understand how to get started. Also, would it be possible to review my profile and let me know the issues.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@Ashish M wrote:

All the projects that appear in my search / job feed ask for a Job Success Score of 90% or more. Obviously, I would not have it since I am new to the platform. Whereas I have 20 years of experience in software development.

This is a catch 22. Not being eligible for projects because not having done projects on Upwork. I need to get started somewhere 🙂

Simply apply anyway. It's a default setting and the vast majority of clients don't even realize it is set as such on their job post. Make sure you write killer proposals which stand out and go for it.

Ashish M wrote: Also, would it be possible to review my profile and let me know the issues.

Thanks

It is not bad, but boring. Nothing stands out. You have no portfolio which is a big deal when you have no reviews and no feedback and no JSS yet.

Do you really expect clients to just take your word for it? You claim to have 20+ years of experience. Surely you have something to show for it?

You've set your English level to "Native / Bilingual," which is a bit optimistic. Change it to "fluent."

Underpromise and overdeliver. The other way round never ends well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
designiaa3921
Community Member

My suggestion will be to search your keyword on seach "Search for Jobs" column and then check the filter button and the choose the best you looking for and then save search.

This would show you the desired results.

Good Luck. Thanks

petra_r
Community Member

@Ashish M wrote:

Simply apply anyway. It's a default setting and the vast majority of clients don't even realize it is set as such on their job post. Make sure you write killer proposals which stand out and go for it.

Ashish M wrote: Also, would it be possible to review my profile and let me know the issues.

Thanks

It is not bad, but boring. Nothing stands out. You have no portfolio which is a big deal when you have no reviews and no feedback and no JSS yet.

Do you really expect clients to just take your word for it? You claim to have 20+ years of experience. Surely you have something to show for it?

You've set your English level to "Native / Bilingual," which is a bit optimistic. Change it to "fluent."

Underpromise and overdeliver. The other way round never ends well.

aashysh0
Community Member

Yes, I realised I had missed out on the portfolio. Thanks for pointing that out.

And about the English level, Bilingual had me confused, since I speak English as a second language. So will change it to fluent as suggested.

Thanks Petra.

Apply to the jobs you think fit your skills and experience.

When you apply to a job, pay attention to the range of prices other freelancers have already submitted to the client. As a new freelancer, you probably won't want to be the highest bidder. That doesn't mean you need to be the lowest bidder either, but it's best to get a few projects completed and some great feedback in your profile, even if those projects didn't pay you as well as you hope to be paid over the long term.   

As Petra said, don't avoid submitting a bid on projects with the "minimum JSS requrement" of 90. For some reason, Upwork makes the decision for clients to pick this criteria unless they actively change it, which most appear not to.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths