Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Review and Advise

brandyhunter
Ace Contributor
Brandy H Member Since: Dec 8, 2016
1 of 11

I have appreciated all of the advice so far as to my summary, intro, and rates. I have revised my profile and would love to hear more input.

Brandy H - Copywriter | Content Writer | Copy Editor | Researcher

shamin07031
Ace Contributor
Shamin R Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
2 of 11

Specifically now what are you looking for, If you looking for any specific suggestion? So that we can help you.

brandyhunter
Ace Contributor
3 of 11

Thanks for your response. I should clarify by saying that I had posted a differently type of profile previously that came across as too varied and was told that I should try to narrow my niche a bit and raise my rate. I wanted to know if this looks specific enough.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 11

This reminds me when I was working with the startup. There were 3 owners and they had 3 different businesses before they decided to drop 2 and focus on the one that was making bank.

So the one owner wanted to open a competitor site to Pet Meds. He had already opened another type of site that was successful, so he told them he wanted to see how their warehouse/shipping process worked to help him better his current site. Really, he was planning to be their competitor. These people opened their doors and showed him the whole process. He actually never followed through but opened a different type of company instead using Pet Meds as an example to dominate the field. He grew that company to #3 in the US. LOL

Then, one of the other owners decided to pay affiliates slightly more for all of the good leads to starve out their competitors. It worked and they wound up buying out those little guys they starved out. Excellent.

brandyhunter
Ace Contributor
5 of 11

That's an interesting story, but what is your opinion of my personal revised profile? Is it simply my subject interest in pets that reminded you of your startup, or is there something in my style that makes you think of the case? 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 11

Brandy, sorry, but "No"

For starters, you are wasting the single most important part of your overview with "fluff"

As that is the only part any client sees in the list view you are taking yourself pretty much out of contention. The first line must be where you present your unique selling point in a way that makes the client want to click on you to find out more.

This has to go:

I would love to begin networking with other freelancers and clients right away to learn how I can present the best content possible.

It says "I don't know what I'm doing, please teach me!"

That is not what clients pay for,

I would actually start from scratch. Decide what your real speciality is, then hone in on that, concentrating on how it will benefit your clients and not on what you're interested in.

brandyhunter
Ace Contributor
7 of 11

Is there a better umbrella niche term that could encompass the interests that I am already fairly knowledgeable in? Semantics destroy me.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
BEST ANSWER
8 of 11

@Brandy H wrote:

Is there a better umbrella niche term that could encompass the interests that I am already fairly knowledgeable in? Semantics destroy me.

Focus specifically on the topics you've been paid to write about previously.

It seems you are veering towards blog writing. I'm basing this on your writing style demonstrated both in the forums and in your profile. 

Choose a single niche first, then build from there.

Pets and animals? Is that the quickest and easiest writing "flow" for you?

How long would it take you to write 500 words on each topic you listed?

ETA: These are questions for you to ask yourself as opposed to feeling compelled to answer them publicly in the forum (at least that is my intention for posing the questions).

View solution in original post

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 11

@Brandy H wrote:

If you are going to be a writer ( and or editor) semantics should not destroy you. They should be part of your arsenal. 

Your profile is a lot better than it was. Start slowly and build up. Try and  get a reputation for witty and original blogs - not rechurned internet stuff - and you will do OK.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 11

Brandy,

Did you create a new account? Clicking on your name shows your account marked private, and then there's your new link.

A duplicate account is against TOS, so you may want to take care of that.