🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Profile Review
Page options
lakishaw
Community Member

Profile Review

Hello,

I am new to upwork, and I would like someone to review my profile to see if catchy. I have submitted several proposals and not having any luck securing any jobs. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Looking much better, Lakisha!

I understand your thoughts about the cover letter; it should be personable and tailored to the specific job you are submitting a proposal on (no copy-paste!).  However, the advice I have gleaned from multiple seasoned pros on Upwork and other freelancing sites, as well as in-person connections, is to essentially make the profile section warm and personable, while quickly and succinctly identifying how the client will benefit from hiring you.

You're on the right track, and I believe you will continue to refine it as you go along.  It doesn't hurt to make subtle changes on a frequent basis, always with the intention of applying what you have learned since the last time you made changes (you learn something every day!).

One change I would make (this is just a suggestion, but feel free to use this if you like) would be to the following paragraph:

"I consider myself to be a well organized and business-driven individual, in which establishing and maintaining successful business practices is my ultimate goal for each client I am servicing. As a part of your team, whether its a one-time or an on-going project, you will find me to be reliable and trustworthy, as well as find confidence in the work I am generating to be accurate and valuable in outlining your financial objectives."

Would change to:

"If you are looking for someone who is well-organized, business driven, and established in maintaining successful business practices, then I would love to help you.  If you desire a reliable and trustworthy member to join your team to accurately outline your financial objectives, then you can take confidence in the value I will bring to your team."

You're going to do great, Lakisha.

Joshua

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
joshua_pattillo
Community Member

Hello Lakisha,

While you have a great skill focus, education and offering, I would change the tone of your overview to be more client-focused, rather than focused on selling yourself.  Try to use more "you" language, rather than "I" language.

Think of it like a conversation where you are getting to know the other person (the client) and addressing their needs and wants, and how you can help them with that.

It is good to say what you can do, but make sure you phrase it such that you are saying what you can do "for them" because this is what they are looking for.  Try not to sound like a resume, while at the same time conveying the important information.

Wouldn't I get more personanble in my cover letter?  I thought the profile was used more or less to attract customers.

Can you take another look. I have made some adjustments.

Looking much better, Lakisha!

I understand your thoughts about the cover letter; it should be personable and tailored to the specific job you are submitting a proposal on (no copy-paste!).  However, the advice I have gleaned from multiple seasoned pros on Upwork and other freelancing sites, as well as in-person connections, is to essentially make the profile section warm and personable, while quickly and succinctly identifying how the client will benefit from hiring you.

You're on the right track, and I believe you will continue to refine it as you go along.  It doesn't hurt to make subtle changes on a frequent basis, always with the intention of applying what you have learned since the last time you made changes (you learn something every day!).

One change I would make (this is just a suggestion, but feel free to use this if you like) would be to the following paragraph:

"I consider myself to be a well organized and business-driven individual, in which establishing and maintaining successful business practices is my ultimate goal for each client I am servicing. As a part of your team, whether its a one-time or an on-going project, you will find me to be reliable and trustworthy, as well as find confidence in the work I am generating to be accurate and valuable in outlining your financial objectives."

Would change to:

"If you are looking for someone who is well-organized, business driven, and established in maintaining successful business practices, then I would love to help you.  If you desire a reliable and trustworthy member to join your team to accurately outline your financial objectives, then you can take confidence in the value I will bring to your team."

You're going to do great, Lakisha.

Joshua

Hi - Can I request you to please review my profile as well. Its been almost a month without any job which is a bit disheartening.

Thanks a lot !!!

Shaun

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Lakisha W wrote:

Hello,

I am new to upwork, and I would like someone to review my profile to see if catchy. I have submitted several proposals and not having any luck securing any jobs. 

You have only taken one test, take many many more. The test you took is quite relevant to what you offer, but you did not do great on it, hide that result. Display only good results, only the ones that are in the top percentiles and are marked blue. 

In addition to that, to come across as a precise and diligent bookkeeper, your text needs to be flawless, punctuation, spacing, and all. 

I don't think clients are comparing the test results of their prospective freelancers. They don't even have time to look at the tests. I'm doing graphics and my tests are about English language. Nobody cares about test results. Nobody asked me why I don't have Photoshop test on my profile, ever.

@Baris A wrote:

I don't think clients are comparing the test results of their prospective freelancers. They don't even have time to look at the tests. I'm doing graphics and my tests are about English language. Nobody cares about test results. Nobody asked me why I don't have Photoshop test on my profile, ever.

I don't doubt it. There are hugely successful freelancers without a single test. Thing is, the market is getting tougher, and anyone joining at this stage needs to stand out from the rest. Tests are also a good tool for self-awareness and self-improvement. 

@Martina P wrote:

@Baris A wrote:

I don't doubt it. There are hugely successful freelancers without a single test. Thing is, the market is getting tougher, and anyone joining at this stage needs to stand out from the rest. Tests are also a good tool for self-awareness and self-improvement. 

They would be if they were meaningful, if half of them didn't have the results splattered all over the Internet, and if they weren't almost uniformly created by someone with little clue.

As they are, they're frankly mostly a waste of time these days.

In the early days they may have been useful (I took a bunch back in 2011, before they "devalued" so much. I doubt they ever helped me win a single job)

Lakisha, I would add relevant business experience.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths