🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Profile creation
Page options
yours247
Community Member

Profile creation

I don't know how long it takes for a profile to be accepted but I have several different skills that I would like to offer here as I have worked in several different industries but it's not very clear to me how it all works here. Once my profile has been accepted, can I then create different posts or how can I show people what jobs I can do? Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
robin_hyman
Community Member

Kate K wrote:
I don't know how long it takes for a profile to be accepted but I have several different skills that I would like to offer here as I have worked in several different industries but it's not very clear to me how it all works here. Once my profile has been accepted, can I then create different posts or how can I show people what jobs I can do? Thank you

Hey Kate,

You can create a general profile summarizing what you do and then specialized profiles to address your different skillsets.  Use the specialized profiles to apply to the appropriate jobs fitting your skills.  

I recommend you review other freelancers' profiles in your field to see how they handle general vs. specialized profiles.  Do not copy someone else's profile as you will be suspended.  

Good luck!

louisaj
Community Member

Welcome. You can land a job in two ways: Apply for a job or wait for a client to invite you to apply for a job.

Upwork now has a new feature where you can create different profiles with different skill sets. Some people love this feature, some do not. 

Starting out here is tough; therefore I would advise you to pick one, maybe two skills at most and concentrate on landing a job. Pick your strongest skill and work with that to start with. It can take a few months to land your first client. Unless you have a unique skill set. 

Make the first line on your profile the strongest. Don't do the rookie mistakes of:

"Hello, my name is xxxx, and I'm from xxxx." (This info is already displayed)

"I'm here to gain experience in working as a freelancer" (nope, just no, clients want confident people that know how to be a freelancer and are confident in their skills)

"I graduated from xxxx in xxxx" (This is in your qualifications section)

"Hi, I'm xxx and I have two kids, three rabbits..." (Keep personal stuff out of your profile)

Good luck.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Kate,

Once you`ve created your profile you will be able to create specialized profiles as well. Specialized profiles allow you to tailor your profile to your audience and to create variations of your profile that showcase your experience within specific categories. To learn more about this check out this Help Article. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths