cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile not approved even after bringing in outside client.

Christopher Scott K Member Since: Nov 19, 2017
1 of 14

I have had my profile up for a few days and have even asked one of my clients to create an account and hire me for a job which I have accepted. However, my profile is still not approved even after sending the email to the byoc address.

I am not sure why my profile hasn't been approved as I am receiving no kind of communication from any UpWork moderator on the issue. Can anyone here help to assist me in approving my profile? I would love to begin working on here for clients but this is beginning to drag out longer than it should!

Thanks in advance

Chris

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 14

A lot of writers have been posting that their profiles haven't been approved recently. It is probably due to the fact that there are currently more than 185,000 writers registered on Upwork and at any given time about 2,500 writing jobs.

3 of 14

I understand that. I don't plan to give up until my account is approved regardless of the supply/demand issue... I have more skills to offer than just writing, a lot of my work is in sales and marketing strategies as well.

It is competitive to say the least, the way those numbers line up... but just because there are that many writers to jobs shouldn't deter them from approving well put together profiles of freelancers with many skills to offer.... this gives clients more options to have at their disposal, allowing the most fit for the job to prevail in the end.

I at least want the ability to be considered for jobs as I am being cut short before really getting the chance to grow anything.... not to mention I did get a client to sign up and pay me for a job which should be enough to get me approved according to the byoc email option.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
4 of 14

I just noticed that you also have your website URL in your work history. You'll never get approved with that there.

As to whether your persistence will pay off, it's a crapshoot. A lot of freelancers come to the forums and say they won't give up. Some have submitted their profiles for review a dozen or more times when they post here. Whether or not they are ultimately approved seems almost random, and is definitely not based on quality of skills or qualifications (though that may be the intent).

5 of 14

I didn't even think about that in that manner. I'll do a fix of that quickly!

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
6 of 14

@Christopher Scott K wrote:

I have had my profile up for a few days and have even asked one of my clients to create an account and hire me for a job which I have accepted. However, my profile is still not approved even after sending the email to the byoc address.

byoc? Sending email? Maybe you mean you have sent an updated ticket regarding the profile approval process?

I am not sure why my profile hasn't been approved as I am receiving no kind of communication from any UpWork moderator on the issue. Can anyone here help to assist me in approving my profile? I would love to begin working on here for clients but this is beginning to drag out longer than it should!

Thanks in advance

Chris

It sucks, I really get that. If you already have a ticket going, that's all you really need to do to get "help". Belive it or not, most folks don't even get THAT far. 

Also, Upwork moderators respond to posts here in the Forums. They do not send Customer Service tickets. The CS team does that. 

This being the Forums, the most likely response your going to get from a Forum Moderator (in a day or two because it's the weekend) is that the "market is saturated".

Good luck!

7 of 14

Thanks for your input!

I do have a ticket open that started when I did the bring your own client email. I'll wait it out and see if things get to moving for me tomorrow. 

I appreciate the advice from you all... 

Happy holidays to you,

Chris

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 14

You didn't "bring in outside client"

You hired yourself.

You and "the client" are one and the same.

9 of 14

It appears that way, but I don't own the business. I just do the creative work for it. That IS a client, not myself, and their work IS in my portfolio, and I am continuing to do work for them. Thanks for chiming in though! 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 14

@Christopher Scott K wrote:

It appears that way,

Chris, I am not an idiot.

Please don't (try to) treat me like one.

The business "office address" is your home. "Their" phone number is your phone number.

You didn't "bring an outside client" - you tried to get around the system by self-hiring (strictly forbidden) and no doubt "the client" will give "you" glowing feedback...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS