🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Profile picture
Page options
alaboud-amal
Community Member

Profile picture

Hi,

It seems that I can't complete my profile without uploading a picture of me. I don't really want to do that. Is there any solution to this issue.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
arman_sahriar
Community Member

You must have a profile picture. Otherwise, you cannot.

I've flagged your post so that a moderator can respond appropriately.

cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Amal,

Unfortunately, you need to have a profile photo in order to have a complete profile. 

*Edited for clarity*

Untitled
mtngigi
Community Member

@Ryan C wrote:

Hello Amal,

Unfortunately, you need to have a profile photo in order to have a complete profile. If you don't want to upload your photo, you can still continue using Upwork but you can't have a rising talent badge or a top rated badge as it requires a 100% complete profile. Thank you.

Ryan,

Are those kinds of profiles exempt from the ID verification process requiring a picture ID? It wouldn't seem fair if that were the case.

Thank you Rayan for your reply. I don’t mind having incomplete profile but it won’t let me go to the next page unless I upload a profile picture. Could you please help me with that manually. Thanks

Hi Amal, 

The team has confirmed that you will not be able to bypass this process as it is required to upload your photo during registration as part of having a complete profile. 

~ Avery
Upwork

For once and for all, can we please have some clarification on pictures. Two moderators in the same thread have contradicted each other. One says that if you don't have/want a 100% profile you needn't upload your pic and the other says you do need a pic. So which is it and can we have this clearly pointed out in the ToS? Perhaps I have missed it. I have only read the section on setting up an account. Maybe this rule, whichever it is, is somewhere else in the ToS/User Agreement? 

Nichola and others,

We apologize for the confusion and have edited the first reply on this thread to make sure incorrect information is removed.

I'd like to confirm that a clear profile picture is necessary for a complete profile.

Please, refer to section 3.2 of the User Agreement:

"You agree to provide true, accurate, and complete information on your Profile and all registration and other forms you access on the Site or provide to us and to update your information to maintain its truthfulness, accuracy, and completeness." 

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Nichola and others,

We apologize for the confusion and have edited the first reply on this thread to make sure incorrect information is removed.

I'd like to confirm that a clear profile picture is necessary for a complete profile.

Please, refer to section 3.2 of the User Agreement:

"You agree to provide true, accurate, and complete information on your Profile and all registration and other forms you access on the Site or provide to us and to update your information to maintain its truthfulness, accuracy, and completeness." 

Thanks Valeria, but where does it say in 3.2 anything about a photograph? One can give truthful information about oneself without adding a photo, but  it does not say so specifically in 3.2. It is only what Upwork perceives as complete. I know it is not often that newcomers read the ToS, but if they did, they could be forgiven for thinking a photo was unnecessary. 

Thank you for the follow up, Nichola. As I noted in my previous reply, the User Agreement requires freelancers to have a complete profile. Profile picture is one of the items that are required to complete a profile and submit it for a review. Please, see this help article for more details.

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

I think the policies on this have changed over the years. It is good to know what is currently expected.

[edited to add:]

Three different moderators have now weighed in on this topic.

The answer to this question is irrelevent for anybody who is quite ready and willing to upload their profile photo, so that their profile is similar to nearly every other freelancer profile on the site.

But the answer to the question is important for someone who actively wants to NOT use a profile photo, either due to security or cultural or religious beliefs (noble), or because their intentions are to masquerade as someone other than themself (not noble).

If I had a friend who wanted to join Upwork as a freelancer, and if they asked about photos...

I would tell them that Upwork expects all new freelancers to include a real photo of themselves on their profile photo. If that is not something they are comfortable with, I would point out that there are many alternative freelancer platforms that either do not require photos, or which allow the use of avatars or fake photos.

With its current policies, Upwork simply isn't the right place for freelancers who want to work anonymously and/or without a profile photo.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths