Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile rejection

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
11 of 36

Jen H wrote:

Excuse me, but an example of the "people" I am trying to bring to Upwork is:

Someone with 27 years experience and a Bachelors of Science in Pyschology and someone that is attending Georgetown University (pre-law) on scholarship and is currently interning for the DC Mayor's Office.

Who can provide what services, exactly, that are in demand by Upwork clients?  (This is a serious question, not facetious at all.)

Jen H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
12 of 36

Internet research, Virtual Assistant, Data entry, Accounting, HR, Marketing, Political writing, Legal, etc.

so which of these services should my friends NOT be offering in order to be accepted.

Community Guru
13 of 36

Jen H wrote:

Internet research, Virtual Assistant, Data entry, Accounting, HR, Marketing, Political writing, Legal, etc.

so which of these services should my friends NOT be offering in order to be accepted.

Oversaturated fields:  Internet research, Virtual Assistant, Data entry

Not [yet] qualified if only "pre-law" (meaning, basically, just a random undergraduate) (in fact, it is illegal in all U.S. states and territories to advertise as offering, or to actually offer/perform, legal services until and unless one is admitted as a member of the bar!): Legal, etc.

I suspect that "HR" is also oversaturated and/or difficult to accomplish over the internet. This leaves us with "political writing" (plenty of other freelancers out there; not sure of saturation level or of demand) and the vague category of "marketing."

ETA:  Accounting might well be good, if your friends are well-qualified. Again, I don't know about market saturation or competing pricing from freelancers in developing countries.

14 of 36

Omg, those were just examples and I never said that my friend was offering to be a lawyer -- she has a strong legal and policital background in a variety of areas and has received awards from top legal and policital organizations and has paid internships supporting those types of organizations... so yeah, she could offer services related to the Legal services offered here (there's more to the 'law' than being a lawyer and no HR administration is not difficult to do over the internet -- why would it be offered as a service here then?

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
15 of 36

Hi Jen,

Upwork reviews freelancer registrations and if we find that our marketplace does not have opportunities for them based on their combination of skills and experience, their registration to Upwork will not be accepted. Although we allow freelancers to re-submit their profiles once if they feel they have more relevant skills or experience to add. We will take another look at this information upon resubmission.

We understand that this is disappointing to many freelancers that just registered, however, we want to make sure the freelancers we accept have the best chance at success on our platform. This requires us to not only closely review a freelancer’s talents and experience, but also balance with the availability of projects. For example, at times our marketplace may have too many freelancers with similar skills competing for a small number of projects.

Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 36

Ryan C wrote:

Hi Jen,

Upwork reviews freelancer registrations and if we find that our marketplace does not have opportunities for them based on their combination of skills and experience, their registration to Upwork will not be accepted. Although we allow freelancers to re-submit their profiles once if they feel they have more relevant skills or experience to add. We will take another look at this information upon resubmission.

We understand that this is disappointing to many freelancers that just registered, however, we want to make sure the freelancers we accept have the best chance at success on our platform. This requires us to not only closely review a freelancer’s talents and experience, but also balance with the availability of projects. For example, at times our marketplace may have too many freelancers with similar skills competing for a small number of projects.

Just playing devil's advocate here Ryan.  How do you explain the many profiles that have been accepted by Upwork, but which should have been binned? I can think of (and pinpoint) one  very recent forum poster apparently holding one of the highest business aministration degrees you can get, but who hadn't the faintest idea what to do when instructed to follow a link.

Just sayin' . . .

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
17 of 36

Hi Nichola, 

We have also initiatives and programs for freelancers who have had difficulty being successful on the platform. Although I will not be able to share you the details of some programs, please know that these profiles are also addressed accordingly. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
18 of 36

Jen H wrote:

-- so which of these services should my friends NOT be offering in order to be accepted.

-- Omg, those were just examples

Sorry -- You can't have it both ways. You gave specific examples and asked "which of these [services]" your friends should not be offering to do as freelancers. When I responded with specifics, you exasperatedly indicate that you didn't actually intend for your question to be answered (and your tone clearly implies that anyone who took you seriously was foolish). If you offer examples that you seem to believe are strong support for your argument (in effect: "Knock THESE down, you smarty-pantses!"), then you cannot simply dismiss the counter-argument by claiming that the support you presented wasn't really serious in the first place. ("just examples..."  i.e., Not really my best stuff. Not the supporting arguments I COULD have made... The ones you would NOT have been able to knock down... The ones too strong and brilliant for you to overcome. If you weren't so foolish as to mistake these paltry examples for THE REAL THING--for the arguments I REALLY meant to make.)

and I never said that my friend was offering to be a lawyer -- she has a strong legal and policital background in a variety of areas and has received awards from top legal and policital organizations and has paid internships supporting those types of organizations... so yeah, she could offer services related to the Legal services offered here (there's more to the 'law' than being a lawyer and no HR administration is not difficult to do over the internet -- why would it be offered as a service here then?

"Unauthorized practice of law" does not make exceptions for undergraduate prodigies who have "strong legal and political background[s]." Check with our best LICENSED paralegals (several are regular Forum participants) who, themselves, are extremely careful to do only what they are legally allowed to do, and NO MORE.

As to HR -- fine, okay. It may well be a promising field here. I don't know.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
19 of 36

Jen H, nobody is trying to insult you or your friends, but if you come onto the forum ready for a fight, you may get a little flack in return. None of us is responsible for what Upwork's algorithm decides. Many of us have been with Elance/oDesk/Upwork and many others for years, that has nothing to do with what Upwork might think of your recommendations!

If your friends are as well qualified and experienced as you say, then there should have been no problem in getting their profiles accepted. So something is out of whack. There are some categories that are oversubscribed, such as data entry, so profiles might well be turned down because of that. However, it is usually because the freelancer has not uploaded their pic, or satisfactorily completed Upwork's profile requirements.

20 of 36

I did not come here to FIGHT with the community -- I came here to complain about Upwork's policy -- and yes, I was insulted, as were my friends.

The idea that Upwork can't pinpoint the Offered Services that are over-saturated instead of blindly sending emails saying 'we have no use for your skills' and your profile is rejected is absolutely ridiculous.

I came here for guidance as to why this policy was instituted and why there is no guidance during profile development that would direct someone that those particular skills are not needed at this time, and when those services would be open.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS