Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile rejection

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
21 of 36

Jen H wrote:

I did not come here to FIGHT with the community -- I came here to complain about Upwork's policy -- and yes, I was insulted, as were my friends.

The idea that Upwork can't pinpoint the Offered Services that are over-saturated instead of blindly sending emails saying 'we have no use for your skills' and your profile is rejected is absolutely ridiculous.

I came here for guidance as to why this policy was instituted and why there is no guidance during profile development that would direct someone that those particular skills are not needed at this time, and when those services would be open.

Well, you need a mod to come in and answer this question, because we can't. We can only give an empirical view on similar complaints. We have seen thousands of freelancers wondering why their profiles are not accepted. Very often it is because a category is saturated, or a profile does not come up to standard for one reason or another. And I have to agree that there are some profiles that should never have been accepted and that are - so perhaps it is a quota thing.

This is sheer speculation on my part - I don't know.

Jen H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
22 of 36

So my complaint then is -- there should be some guidance both prior and after rejection as to what skills are over-saturated and not just sent emails saying ' we have no use for you'

How about when you select the type of work you're doing -- if the community is oversaturated, then Upwork should alert the person and explain why not to choose that.

I appreciate your reponse -- the only decent one in the bunch.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
23 of 36

Jen H wrote:

So my complaint then is -- there should be some guidance both prior and after rejection as to what skills are over-saturated and not just sent emails saying ' we have no use for you'

How about when you select the type of work you're doing -- if the community is oversaturated, then Upwork should alert the person and explain why not to choose that.

I appreciate your reponse -- the only decent one in the bunch.

Is that what Upwork actually put: "We have no use for you"? Are you quite sure about that?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
24 of 36

Hi Jen, 

I would just like to add to Ryan's reply that Upwork publishes a quarterly skills index that gives some insight into the fastest-growing freelance skills. Check out the latest one here.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
25 of 36

Jen H wrote:

The idea that Upwork can't pinpoint the Offered Services that are over-saturated instead of blindly sending emails saying 'we have no use for your skills' and your profile is rejected is absolutely ridiculous.

I came here for guidance as to why this policy was instituted and why there is no guidance during profile development that would direct someone that those particular skills are not needed at this time, and when those services would be open.

That's actually a very good idea, wish I'd thought of it myself. If you ask Upwork politely, perhaps they'll consider it (and I'm not being sarcastic). Earlier, you took exception to my remarks about your friends' qualifications. I was mainly questioning their expertise because by your original statement, some of them had to "train to prepare', and that sounded like they intended to start something new at Upwork, rather than whatever their original expertise might be. 

26 of 36

Jen H wrote:

I am absolutely flabbergasted that profiles are being rejected because there's TOO many people?

Guh?!?

This seems a most valid reason for rejecting additional applicants.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 36

I was pretty happy she used "flabbergasted" instead of "shocked." Those two words are a favorite with freelancers and we've seen "shocked" too many times. It was a nice change.

Jen H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
28 of 36

Glad I could be here for your amusement.

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
29 of 36

She said 'happy', she didn't say that it was funny or that it made here laugh. Sorry, but attention to detail is my thing. 

But anyway, if they gave a big list of skills that they didn't need, then people would just list a whole bunch of skills that they do need... whether they actually have those skills or not.

I am curious why this is such an issue for you, especially as this doesn't directly affect to you. I'm going to make some assumptions here, but there's a couple of likely issues...

1) You're extremely altruistic. I commend you.

2) You feel kind of bad recommended Upwork to these people in the first place. Maybe when you suggested, or they suggested, buying laptops, programs and conducting training... you agreed that it would be a good idea. Now that they've not been accepted, they're either blaming you, or you're blaming yourself. To save face, and/or diminish the feeling of guilt... you've decided to vent/complain/look for a solution. I guess that's understandable. 

But as the man says, they can resubmit their profile once, so maybe it would be a good idea to investigate the different categories, get a feel for which ones are oversaturated, revise profiles, add additional or more unique skills etc etc... and take it from there. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
30 of 36

Many would-be freelancers have no marketable skill at all. 

They have a computer and know someone who made some money here.

It is a kindness on Upwork's part to reject their attempt to enter the jobs marketplace.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS