🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Project completed weeks ago but contract stil...
Page options
excel_crab
Community Member

Project completed weeks ago but contract still open and client needs me for another job but....

Hello Everyone,

I have a dilemma.  A project completed weeks ago but contract still open and client needs me for another job but I have another new contract with a new client where I'm doing an urgent project.

The older contract only described a one time project  which was completed and for some reason, the client kept the contract open instead of closing.  I got paid and everything went well.

What should I do in this case?  I can certainly tell my older client that I'm not available at the moment.

But is that really the right thing to do?  Am I really really entitled to such action?

Thanks and Regards,

Mark Tecson

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail
Community Member

Mark, you can certainly tell the client that you’re working on an urgent project for another client so you’re unavailable for work until you finish the work you started for your new client, as long as you never told the first client that you would be available for new work whenever the client asks you for it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
yitwail
Community Member

Mark, you can certainly tell the client that you’re working on an urgent project for another client so you’re unavailable for work until you finish the work you started for your new client, as long as you never told the first client that you would be available for new work whenever the client asks you for it.

Hi Mark, 

I do not think you have much of a problem here. When taking on a new contract, the most important factor to consider asides from having the requisite skills to deliver a good job is your time availability. Since you're not actively working this open contract, you could proceed with the new opportunity. 

I know some clients require you do not have any open jobs in addition to theirs; if that is the case here, please, explain to your new client the situation of things and also let them know why the completed contract is still open. If they do not buy your explanation, please go ahead and close out the completed but still open contract. Trust me, it won't hurt your ratings in any way. 

The last course of action would be to reach out to your past client and politely ask them to close out the contract and review your work. 

Cheers!

Ifeanyi N wrote:

I know some clients require you do not have any open jobs in addition to theirs; if that is the case here, please, explain to your new client the situation of things and also let them know why the completed contract is still open.

Thanks Ifeanyi,

I never had jobs so far that require exclusive service with the client.  These jobs would always have a basic salary offer so it's fair to avoid taking additional contracts while working for them and of course to observe contract agreements.

Kind Regards

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths