🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Project questions and rate
Page options
sebastianot
Community Member

Project questions and rate

Newbie here. 

Is there a way to ask questions about a project before spending Connects submitting a proposal (as a freelancer)?

If a job is posted without an hourly rate how do I avoid committing to rate when submitting proposal? (avoid as in, rate to be discussed with project poster). 

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there a way to ask questions about a project before spending Connects submitting a proposal (as a freelancer)?"

No.

re: "If a job is posted without an hourly rate how do I avoid committing to rate when submitting proposal? (avoid as in, rate to be discussed with project poster)."

Submitting a proposal does not commit you to anything.

Submitting a proposal allows you to begin a conversation. It does not commit you to accepting the job, and it does not commit you to any particular hourly rate or fixed-price quote.

Thank you

So every time I submit a proposal I have to spend Connect credits whether or not I get the job?

Sebastian O wrote:

Thank you

So every time I submit a proposal I have to spend Connect credits whether or not I get the job?

Yes.  Welcome to Upwork!

robin_hyman
Community Member

Is there a way to ask questions about a project before spending Connects submitting a proposal (as a freelancer)?

No

If a job is posted without an hourly rate how do I avoid committing to rate when submitting proposal? (avoid as in, rate to be discussed with project poster). 

For an hourly job, I always include my hourly rate.  Many times the client didn't intend to pay for an hourly job and just pushed their job post live quickly.  If they are interested in working with me, they will reach out and we can discuss payment further. 

For fixed-price jobs where I'm not 100% clear on the project scope, I will submit with the client's posted rate and write "fixed price is a placeholder until I better understand project scope".  So I don't lock myself into their rate. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths