🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Proposal Cover Letter for a Novice Instructio...
Page options
jacksonjaneen
Community Member

Proposal Cover Letter for a Novice Instructional Designer

Hello,

I am new to Upwork. I saw a job that I am interested in. Could someone be nice enough to critique my proposal cover letter?

Thank You,

Janeen

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mystudiomke
Community Member

Hi Janeen,

One item I have learned is always putting yourself in the client position. Review it as if you were the one making decision. Will you hire someone who is new to upwork when there is hundreds of other freelancers with the same skills and recommendations? Because you’re new you have to go in the route of showing relevant experience and portfolio. Keep it short and emphasize how you can best help them with their project. Don’t say your new to Upwork or have done 'unpaid' jobs – they can already see that in your profile. Rely on your best skills and highlight those to match the job you’re applying for. 

I did a quick re-write of your proposal. I am no writer by any means but again I try to view it in the lens of a client. Hope that helps!

Good evening,

I see that you’re looking for assistance with your project "x" and I am interested on how I can further assist. My name is Janeen Jackson and I graduated with my Master of Education in Adult Education & Training.

I am experienced in designing courses such as Adobe Captivate courses for LinkedIn and Train the Trainer course in Google Classroom with a sample quizzes, similar to your job posting. You can view my portfolio at **edited for Community Guidelines**

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,

Janeen C. Jackson

Lila

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mystudiomke
Community Member

Hi Janeen,

One item I have learned is always putting yourself in the client position. Review it as if you were the one making decision. Will you hire someone who is new to upwork when there is hundreds of other freelancers with the same skills and recommendations? Because you’re new you have to go in the route of showing relevant experience and portfolio. Keep it short and emphasize how you can best help them with their project. Don’t say your new to Upwork or have done 'unpaid' jobs – they can already see that in your profile. Rely on your best skills and highlight those to match the job you’re applying for. 

I did a quick re-write of your proposal. I am no writer by any means but again I try to view it in the lens of a client. Hope that helps!

Good evening,

I see that you’re looking for assistance with your project "x" and I am interested on how I can further assist. My name is Janeen Jackson and I graduated with my Master of Education in Adult Education & Training.

I am experienced in designing courses such as Adobe Captivate courses for LinkedIn and Train the Trainer course in Google Classroom with a sample quizzes, similar to your job posting. You can view my portfolio at **edited for Community Guidelines**

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,

Janeen C. Jackson

Lila

Lila!

Thank you so much for taking time to not only critique my cover letter but make revisions. I will revise my letter per your suggestions.

Again thank you

Janeen J.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Keep in mind that a potential client that likes your proposal will next look at your profile. 

Your profile is all about what you want to learn, and nothing about what you can do, in a professional manner, for the client. 

You need to rewrite that completely to make a client want to hire you. 

Thank you Martina

That makes sense. I have to find a way to sell myself even though I am a novice.

matthew-steadman
Community Member

Hey Janeen.
I’d be happy to look it over. I can also give some pointers for your profile.

Let me know how you’d like to get me the document.
I’ll be available to check it out at around 9AM CST.
Matt S.

Ok Matthew

Lets rock n roll!

I am going to send you my revised letter and proposal.

Janeen J.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths