🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Proposal responses
Page options
4cf0c04a
Community Member

Proposal responses

I have received some responses to proposals requesting I setup an interview on Skype. From reading the literature available on the Upwork site this would be considered moving communication from this site. Am I seeing this correctly as not being legit?

Here is an example:

Thank you for your interest in working on this project.
I've included the project invitation to this message. Please examine and follow the relevant actions.

**Edited for community guidelines**
Regards,
XXXXXX

***** Here is where a PDF document is attached directing me how to contact on SKYPE

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I'm not going to click on an unknown link.

Yes, Skype is not allowed, it's probably a scam. 

hglewis
Community Member

Greetings Ronda!

Welcome to Upwork!

Once a contract has been initiated and not before, can you communicate with a client away from the platform.

Personally, I prefer to keep all communication on the platform.

Great catch on your part. Scammers try this trick on every newcomer to the platform.

If you haven't had the chance to or knew where to look, one of the best reference pages on Upwork is their Legal Center.

It's a ton of invaluable information that will protect you and your freelancer account on the platform.

I highly recommend getting familiar with every piece of legal content shown; you won't regret it. 

Here is the link: https://www.upwork.com/legal#terms

Do note: You will not devour all the information in one sitting, so take your time.

Woodrow

PS. And remember, you are a BUSINESS OWNER providing freelance services to your clients on the platform. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ronda, 

You're right that requesting or sharing contact information before a contract starts is a violation of Upwork’s Terms of Service.  You can check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork and please be sure to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature whenever you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths