🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Proposals (Are they being read or ignored...
Page options
n_sumpter
Community Member

Proposals (Are they being read or ignored ?)

Hello,

My name is Nicole and I am fairly new to Upwork. Is there someone who could review my proposals to see if there is something I need to improve on to get a project? How do you know if they are being read or ignored by the hiring manager?

Thanks,

Nicole Sumpter

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
crayhernandez
Community Member

Hi Nicole,

Welcome Upwork! I would recommend reading this article to get some helpful tips in creating winning proposals. There isn’t a way to see if a proposal is viewed or read but you will be notified if the client accepts or declines your proposal.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
crayhernandez
Community Member

Hi Nicole,

Welcome Upwork! I would recommend reading this article to get some helpful tips in creating winning proposals. There isn’t a way to see if a proposal is viewed or read but you will be notified if the client accepts or declines your proposal.

Thank you.

Mary H. wrote:

Hi Nicole,

Mary,

All due respect, but we are not notified if our proposals are declined (unless the client chooses to do so). I don't want the OP to be misled by expecting a response one way to the other to all of her bids.

mtngigi
Community Member

Nicole S wrote:

Hello,

My name is Nicole and I am fairly new to Upwork. Is there someone who could review my proposals to see if there is something I need to improve on to get a project? How do you know if they are being read or ignored by the hiring manager?

Thanks,

Nicole Sumpter

Clients are not obligated to respond to bids (especially if they've received hundreds of bids). As stated by the mod, you will be notified if there is any interest. However, you will not be notified if they're not interested. Sometimes a client will reach out and thank you for your bid, but this is rare. It's really best to leave your bids and forget about them.

re: "How do you know if they are being read or ignored by the hiring manager?"

You want to know if your profiles are:

a) being read

or

b) being ignored

You will never, ever know.

So don't worry about it. It doesn't matter.

You want to know something kind of funny, but true?

Even if you get interviewed or hired by a client, you won't know if she read your proposal.

You might get interviewed or hired because you were one of the first people to apply, or because the client liked your portfolio, or because the client liked your profile photo, or because the client liked the fact that you live in the same city as she does. Proposals are VERY IMPORTANT. But they aren't always read, and they aren't always the reason somebody is hired.

Thank you so much for this.

Thanks for the advice

I believe it would be helpful and reassuring if, when/if the cleint actuall cleicks and opens up (and, by implication, "reads") the freelancer that submitted the "opened up" proposal, would receive a verification that their proposal was "looked at."

Is this the right place to post this suggestion?  Or is there a better section/way to let Upwork know about this suggestion, for serious consdieration?

Jonathan

Jonathan Levey

Jonathan L wrote:

I believe it would be helpful and reassuring if, when/if the cleint actuall cleicks and opens up (and, by implication, "reads") the freelancer that submitted the "opened up" proposal, would receive a verification that their proposal was "looked at."

Is this the right place to post this suggestion?  Or is there a better section/way to let Upwork know about this suggestion, for serious consdieration?

Jonathan

It's been suggested many times, but it might not be reassuring if we knew just how often our proposals are NOT being opened.

I would rather know it was not being opened so that I might change the terms and resubmit, or simply not hang on hoping they might respond and I stead, move on. But perhaps my thoughts on this are in the minority.
Jonathan Levey

Jonathan L wrote:
I would rather know it was not being opened so that I might change the terms and resubmit, or simply not hang on hoping they might respond and I stead, move on. But perhaps my thoughts on this are in the minority.

It's good practice to not hang on waiting for a response, regardless of whether the client has read your bid or not. Even if I'm at the interview stage, I don't stop talking to other clients or turn down any other work until there's a contract in place. And I may be wrong, but I think that changing terms and resubmitting your bid rarely helps; in my experience, if a client is interested in your work but thinks that your price is too high, they'll get in touch to negotiate. 

Excellent points, Christine.

Thanks for sharing. 👍

Still, I would prefer to know if they open read my proposal. 🙂
Jonathan Levey

Fair enough 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths