Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposals

Highlighted
Community Leader
Grant C Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
1 of 18

I have submitted 5 proposals.   Been two weeks on some of them and I havent heard anything back.  How long should I wait  before I withdraw my proposals, and just never bother with this site again?  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 18

@Grant C wrote:

I have submitted 5 proposals.   Been two weeks on some of them and I havent heard anything back.  How long should I wait  before I withdraw my proposals, and just never bother with this site again?  Smiley Wink

The proposal option is only for freelancers.  I understand that the site works for both freelancers and clients alike.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
3 of 18

Juvy Ann P wrote:

Grant C wrote:

The proposal option is only for freelancers.  I understand that the site works for both freelancers and clients alike.

@Juvy: This does not answer the freelancers question at all.

And for the record, @Grant, @Preston responded to your question, and I agree with his statements. Your new to Upwork, and and it takes time to gain traction. Freelancing in general is not a get-rich-quick business, and since you sound like someone with a clue, let me suggest you read all the great resources here on UPwork about getting started, etc.

When a lot of us started gosh, 7-10 years ago, there were no resources to speak of. Today, there are oddles of great resources to get new freelancers up and running. You just have to put in the time to read this content. And it's worth it. Don't give up so easily Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Leader
4 of 18

Thank You Pandora,

I dont disagree with anybody's inputs here.   I did want to poke the bear a little bit to see how the community might respond.       

I do have some idea as to the waiting game.   What I would like to see though is a liittle more movement and pace on 'response' .     Its okay if the client decides to not hire me... But As I check my increasing number of proposals, I'd like to clear the deadwood out... Its not really unreasonable to expect a little professional rythm in the processs.  Maybe an occasional status that means something for the free lancers... IMHO

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 18

@Grant

A lot of us have concerns regarding "perspective client response".  There are tons of threads about this. I only go job hunting 2-3 times a year,  bidding on 12-15 long term jobs each time. Usually, 3-5 of my bids get a response (Usually in week 3, all at the same time. Really).

Personally, I HATE unresponsive clients. I would KILL someone (or maybe pay the sub fee) if it meant that I'd see a reponse (even it was negative) on every job I bid on.

However, that is not going to happen. Needless to say, your concerns are not unwarrented, and your not the only member here who has opinons about this topic.

Highlighted
Christie Ann B Member Since: Jun 3, 2016
6 of 18

So true! I think the trick to freelancing is not worrying yourself to death between contracts. It really is feast or famine. I've also found that job hunting is a necessary evil only intermittently, and a three week wait time is normal. Enjoy the break because you will likely end up with more work than you can handle only to realize that you worried away your free time. Bummer! 

Highlighted
Community Leader
7 of 18

Alas...A client has finally reached out... Took 3 weeks but its all good... 

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 18

@Grant C wrote:

Alas...A client has finally reached out... Took 3 weeks but its all good... 

Alas? Sounds like a good thing to me!  (Please note that at the time of this writing, 11:08 AM Mountain US), Upwork is having some functional difficulties, which may, or not, impact your ability to communicate with said client.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 18

re: "I have submitted 5 proposals. Been two weeks on some of them and I havent heard anything back."

That is normal.

re: "How long should I wait before I withdraw my proposals"

How would withdrawing your proposals benefit you?

Those of us who are experienced apply to jobs and then forget about them. Don't worry about the jobs you applied to until you hear back from a client.

re: "and just never bother with this site again?"

Um... Okay.

You are aware that many newbie freelancers submit dozens of proposals before getting hired, right?

It can take a while. It can take a few weeks, or a few months. Maybe a year for some people...

I can now get as much work as I possibly want without even applying to jobs. Purely through getting invited by clients to work on lucrative projects.

But I didn't start out that way. None of us do.

Highlighted
Community Leader
10 of 18

So, are you suggesting, that regardless of what performance I can offer to the clients?  I might have to wait up to a year?   That's not very encouraging, (especially since I actually get more responses from other resources outside of this site.)      How long have you freelanced with Upwork?