Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposals

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 18

re: "So, are you suggesting, that regardless of what performance I can offer to the clients?  I might have to wait up to a year?"

I'm not saying that at all.

A person with your qualifications and experience will probably get hired MUCH sooner and can expect to be able to earn some real money without such a long period of waiting.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Grant C Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
12 of 18

BTw the comment about quitting the site was tongue in cheek... But the withdrawl of proposals have the following benefits:

1)  Freelanceer might have over bid on the job
2) Freelancer might have made a special offer of services, under a set of prescrivbed conditions for that contract, but a lack of response gives cause for concern about the preservation of that offer.  
3) Freelance might have realized, after the fact that the offer was insufficient and that the freelance could not fulfill the requirements after all.  To sustain credibility and repuation, sometime its better to pull out and 'live to fight another day'

Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 18

You shouldn't worry so much about the proposals that weren't quite right.

Job proposals simply begin the conversation.

You are not obligated to do ANYTHING purely because you submit a proposal. The client must make an offer... either to interview you (discuss the project further) or hire you.

EITHER WAY: The client can NOT summarily hire you based on a job proposal. You (the freelancer) must agree to a contract offer.

AFTER the proposal is submitted, there is time to discuss particulars of the project and decline if it isn't right for you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
14 of 18

re: "How long have you freelanced with Upwork?"

A little over three years.

You can click on the names or photos of anybody here in the Forum... and as long as their profile isn't private, you can see their profile page and their complete work history. If you scroll through the work history far enough, you can find out when anybody started working on Upwork (or "oDesk" or "Elance" as its predecessors were called).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
15 of 18

@Grant C wrote:

I have submitted 5 proposals.   Been two weeks on some of them and I havent heard anything back.  How long should I wait  before I withdraw my proposals, and just never bother with this site again?  Smiley Wink

Grant, Why would you want to withdraw your proposals? What benefit would that be to you. You won't get your connect back. You never know if the freelancer didn't do the job to the client's satisfaction, that the client might come back and put another freelancer.

Submit proposals, and move on. If the client is interested in you they will get in touch. If not, nothing lost.

As to when you will get your first job, it could be tomorrow or it could be months. And then just as long to get your 2nd. and possible your 3rd. You are competing against thousands of other freelancers If you have a nich, or some exceptional skill that not many have, you'll get more jobs.  Just be patient.

Highlighted
Justin B Member Since: Apr 25, 2017
16 of 18

I agree with all of the responses in this thread. It took me about 2 weeks of submitting proposals before I finally got hired. Within a few weeks, I'm now working on 3 long term contracts and have been able to turn freelancing into my full-time job. 

As previously stated, there's no benefit to withdrawing your proposal (Unless you think you made a mistake somewhere and want to resubmit it). Most of us just send a proposal and forget about it; there's no benefit to tracking your proposals or withdrawing them, since you don't receive any sort of status update (Many agree with you, there should be updates). 

In regards to time you might have to wait, there's no way to pinpoint it. Many freelancers I know when first starting out, underbid or take some fixed-price jobs that might not be what they want to do regularly, just to show potential clients that you have earned income, logged hours, and have ratings on your profile. Many times, clients are looking for those 3 factors when evaluating received proposals. I get it's kind of the chicken/egg situation. "Clients want people with experience on Upwork, but how can i get experience if I can't get a client", but it's the same way outside of Upwork.

One thing I kept in mind, and this isn't directly pertaining to you, but to other people that might read the thread; When you apply to a job out in the real world, you're mainly competing only against applicants that live in your area, with Upwork, you're literally competing against thousands of freelancers across the country or around the world, so it might take time. It's competitive out there, but stick with it, it'll definitely pay off.

Those are just some thoughts that I had Grant, hopefully they help!

Highlighted
Cory T Member Since: Mar 15, 2020
17 of 18

This thread was helpful.  It's mainly helpful to know that I shouldn't expect Upwork to make me any money in the near future so I won't waste any more time or resources on it.  In the meantime, I'll search elsewhere and wait weeks for someone to respond to the proposals I spent so much time on for potentially no response.  I definitely wouldn't spend money on this website.  Maybe if I get a response, I'll submit another proposal and spend the next decade getting a few small gigs and eventually be able to cash out a pennance for my time.

What a disappointment.  I'm happy it works for those of you who got in on the ground floor years ago.

Highlighted
David V Member Since: Oct 9, 2020
18 of 18
I have to say it is strange to me that I'm not getting any responses to my proposals recently. When I first started a few weeks ago I had two responses and hires - within the first few days! Now, I have been steadily submitting proposals - over 30 now - it has been almost three weeks later, and not a word from anybody. Can someone chime in here and tell me what am I doing wrong - or what else is potentially going on? Thank you.