🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Proposals
Page options
anafortuna
Community Member

Proposals

Hello all.

I'm a newbie on upwork and I've submitted 20 job proposals since 15th February.

Yet, I haven't got any interview or even refusals from clients. I checked online for possible mistakes and I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Can someone help me, please?

Thank you in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ruth_bowles
Community Member

Hi Ana,

Well first of all, it is my understanding that translation is a really hard field to get into. I experienced something similar when I starting trying to freelance on Upwork as a writer.

I would say that the biggest flaw in your profile is that it doesn't tell the prospective client viewing it why they should hire you. You speak on your experience, and that is important, but it's important because you can use it to tell your prospects why they should hire you and not the next Portugese to English translator.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ana and Samgan,

I can advise you both to check out this thread where you can find all of the information needed about getting started here. I would suggest to spend extra time on the Safety First section in order to learn how to protect yourself and uploading few portfolio items.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am a beginner and I need to get to know the tips. I am improving my skills and I have some right now. I want to start freelancing on upwork.  Need your help. 

Thank you so much Goran.

I have done the course, and I believe I have a strong profile as I followed upwork recommendations. Unfortunately and because I'm new I don't have a portfolio so this might be the main cause of not getting any replies.

Not sure what you mean about Safety First.

Hi Ana,

Fell free to add portfolio items for projects you have worked on outside of Upwork. 
The thread I shared above has a section Safety First, it will help you to identify questionable jobs and suspicious clients.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for your support Goran.

nazdar
Community Member

HI Ana,

I have the same problem.

I've submitted 18 job proposals and no one answer.

I guess Upwork isn't friendly for beginners.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Andrei,

In addition to the resources I shared above, you can check out our blog post on How to Write a Cover Letter.

~ Goran
Upwork

Ok Goran, thanks.

Done it 😞 I have a strong profile and a good cover letter.

It seems quite difficult to get started.

How much are you asking per hour?

It is really hard to start working. Wgile writing cover letter try to be closer to the subject of the proposal. Do not send one cover letter to all jobs. It does not work. Every client looks for the proper freelancer who really cares about his job. And try to get the first job. It can be small and cheap project. But your job history will be begun. Be unique!

I'm doing that. I always try to write for that client in particular. 

It's so frustrating.

But thank you for your feedback Anna. Much appreciated.

When I was new at upwork it took me a month and a half before I was able to land my first job. Dont be so eager at applying at every job you see, take your time to review the job post as well as the clients rating or feedbacks.I am not a fan of very lengthly cover letters, what works for me is just a one sentence cover letter mainly saying hope the client would give me a chance to show what I can do. 

Thanks, I suppose you are right. I wouldn't want to lower my rate either, in respect of other freelancers. 

Hi Ana,

I'm having the same problem.

I'm trying to get the first job 2 months ago.

I've read a lot how to write a good profile and a good proposal as you did. Is so frustrating becaouse it seems nothing work.

I'd like someone experient to analyse my profile to give some idea what is wrong.

Ruth feedback was quite good.

Good luck out there 🙂

Hi Yuri,

I'm not an expert, but you might want to look at the spelling and grammar on your profile and portfolio examples - try Grammarly.

Thank you, Charlie.

ruth_bowles
Community Member

Hi Ana,

Well first of all, it is my understanding that translation is a really hard field to get into. I experienced something similar when I starting trying to freelance on Upwork as a writer.

I would say that the biggest flaw in your profile is that it doesn't tell the prospective client viewing it why they should hire you. You speak on your experience, and that is important, but it's important because you can use it to tell your prospects why they should hire you and not the next Portugese to English translator.

Great feedback Ruth, much appreciated.

Thank you so much. 

No problem! 

The other thing I would consider is researching complementary skills to your translation. For example, I know that translators can offer Search Engine Optimization (SEO) in their web content writing, and they can charge more for that. 

On-page SEO was the first complementary skill I added to my skillset, and it helped me stand out and get jobs when I was having difficulty getting started .

Awesome idea, thanks Ruth. 

I don't know much about on-page seo but if you don't mind and taking advantage of your kindness, did you do any online course, and if so which one would you recommend? 

Thank you in advance.

Hi Ana, I realize this is an older thread. Just curious as to whether you were able to make any progress? I see your Upwork profile has disappeared? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths