🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Prospective Client sends link to dropbox with...
Page options
catmasty
Community Member

Prospective Client sends link to dropbox with instructions to set up Skype message

I'm new to upwork and have submitted several proposals for freelance work.

I have been sent two messages from prospective clients, sending me a link to a dropbox (I checked the link on Kaspersky before clicking it and it said it was safe), which is simply a flier to send a Skype message to someone else to move forward with the project. 

I understand that sometimes clients need to discuss job details off of UpWork, as long as all payment and such is done through UpWork, but is this sort of thing safe? Is this normally how a client would communicate with a freelancer? Or should I follow my instincts and steer clear?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Catherine,

Please note that taking communications with a client off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service.

I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the projects have already been taken down because those were in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the clients accounts. 

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Thank you for flagging this for us.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Catherine,

Please note that taking communications with a client off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service.

I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the projects have already been taken down because those were in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the clients accounts. 

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Thank you for flagging this for us.

~ Bojan
Upwork
catmasty
Community Member

Thank you so much for this, I noticed that these jobs have been taken down. Will be more diligent in the future!

Dropbox, which the leads to Skype, etc. Pure scammer hogwash.

I am glad to hear that you didn't continue with those people and get scammed out of money or significant time.

There are very reasonable ways to communicate prior to a contract right on the platform, including built-in Zoom. I am NOT worried about missing out on legitimate jobs because I require prospective clients to adhere to Upwork rules. I find the real clients are perfectly willing and able to adhere to the rules.

When clients have wanted to communicate with me using other platforms, they have readily hired me and paid me for my time spent talking to them.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths