🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Pushy client - Advice needed please
Page options
9aa62a5e
Community Member

Pushy client - Advice needed please

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to upwork, and I would love some advice. I sent in a proposal for a job towards the start of December, and didn't hear back until late last week. Anyway, the client wanted me to carry out an unpaid proofreading trial, which was fair enough, and I sent a positive reply with areas that can be improved upon.

This client then sent me a job, and I queried the amount for the level of work he was asking me to do, he said he couldn't pay that, and I said no to the job and wished him luck in his search. However, he has recently started messaging me and making me feel really uncomfortable, saying he wants me and wants to build a working relationship. This client does not want to leave me alone.

Where can I take things from here? As he clearly isn't taking no for an answer and I am at my wits end.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
louisaj
Community Member

Hi Elizabeth, I also work in this field. I know it's hard to get started, but from experience I now avoid any free trials, because not always but usually it leads on to disappointment. So look out for that in future. There used to be scams where a client would send 100 different pages to 100 freelancers for free, getting a free book edited (though what a state that book would be with different levels of skill.)

As for the creepy messaging, just ignore it. If you do not have a contract with them, they are not a client, just a weirdo messaging you. Send a strong but fair message saying you are definitely not interested and please stop contacting me and then ignore them. I'm not sure if you can block them but if it gets too much contact the Upwork support team to see if they can block the messages. Some people think this is a dating site, I've had a few of the creepy people over the 5 years I've been on here. 

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I hope it gets resolved. 

alysegoody
Community Member

If they are not a client (you have not accepted a job offer from them) then click their name on the messages and block them. You shouldn't have to put up with the fear of harassment here. Goodluck! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths