🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Question About Milestones.
Page options
writeonpointinc
Community Member

Question About Milestones.

I charge a flat fee for services and typically my first draft (the first document I provide to clients) is the completed project. Depending on the project, it takes between 48 hours and 14 days to complete. For the shorter projects, I assume that I would just get paid upon completion but for longer jobs I don't want to wait until the very end to get a payment.

For these longer projects, I'm not sure how to set up milestones considering the fact that the first document. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
sjbercot
Community Member

For every fixed rate project, you may have to wait 14 days for payment to be released because when you request payment, clients can release it right away, do nothing, or request changes.
If they do nothing, your payement is automatically released after 14 days. Most of my clients release payment pretty quickly, but sometimes don't because they're busy or they know I'll get paid automatically, or any other reason. Just an fyi that you may wait weeks to get paid even if there's no problem and the client was happy with the final draft.

Usually I just get with the client on that and see what milestones work well for them, although sometimes they don't have an idea. I often suggest milestones for clients to review an edited and proofread but not finalized doc if I'm concerned about being on the same page with a client's expectations, which might work for your situation as well. In the end, I'm going to be a little flexible while making sure I'm being paid for my completed work. I don't mind going a week or two, sometimes more, without pay for larger projects since the money is escrowed. Definitely set the milestones you're comfortable with, and if the project doesn't easily lend itself to sections for milestones, maybe consider drafts.

Thank you for the detailed response. I think I will try using the draft concept you suggested. 

colettelewis
Community Member

Yalonda D wrote:

I charge a flat fee for services and typically my first draft (the first document I provide to clients) is the completed project. Depending on the project, it takes between 48 hours and 14 days to complete. For the shorter projects, I assume that I would just get paid upon completion but for longer jobs I don't want to wait until the very end to get a payment.

For these longer projects, I'm not sure how to set up milestones considering the fact that the first document. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

For longer jobs you could consider working on an hourly basis, which would mean payment would be made every week.  

With hourly contacts I get paid every week. With fixed-price contracts, I get paid AT LEAST as frequently. Often I get paid daily. Sometimes I complete more than one milestone in a single day for a client.

I decide how to break a project into milestones. It does me no good to make long, complex, time-consuming milestones. Better to have short, specific, concise milestones and get paid for the work before going onto the next short step.

I'm hoping I can jump into this topic since I had the same type of questions. I've noticed that sometimes the job information makes putting in milestones kind of a guessing game. I have no idea how to make these types of guesses yet. Are they something that must be adhered to, or can they be tweeked and adjusted if you land an interview and chance to talk to the client? I both edit and write. As an example, if it's an on-going blog writing job - how would I best put that into milestones? First draft and final? Any help will be gladly accepted! 

Susan W wrote:

I'm hoping I can jump into this topic since I had the same type of questions. I've noticed that sometimes the job information makes putting in milestones kind of a guessing game. I have no idea how to make these types of guesses yet. Are they something that must be adhered to, or can they be tweeked and adjusted if you land an interview and chance to talk to the client? I both edit and write. As an example, if it's an on-going blog writing job - how would I best put that into milestones? First draft and final? Any help will be gladly accepted! 

It's fine. The client can change the milestones when they send an offer. Just make sure you get a fully funded milestone before you accept.

Ok thanks ... that helps a lot. 

I meant to ask about the dates we have to include for milestones. If the client labels it a long-term project, how far out do we spread these milestones? We could potentially have many of them if we're being hired to regularly write blog entries for sx months. Also, if the client labels it a long-term project but doesn't give us a timeframe, or start/finish dates, is it a guessing game? Is it OK to put in the cover letter that the milestones are estimates and "let's discuss" during an interview, type thing? I don't know why these milestones are kicking my butt, but it's caused me not to send in proposals for multiple jobs because I just don't feel I have enough information to do accurate milestones. Again, any advise will be gladly accepted. Thanks!

I meant to ask about the dates we have to include for milestones. If the client labels it a long-term project, how far out do we spread these milestones? We could potentially have many of them if we're being hired to regularly write blog entries for sx months. Also, if the client labels it a long-term project but doesn't give us a timeframe, or start/finish dates, is it a guessing game? Is it OK to put in the cover letter that the milestones are estimates and "let's discuss" during an interview, type thing? I don't know why these milestones are kicking my butt, but it's caused me not to send in proposals for multiple jobs because I just don't feel I have enough information to do accurate milestones. Again, any advise will be gladly accepted. Thanks!

You've asked some great questions.  Most clients provide little to no information in the job description requiring me to offer a fixed-price placeholder until I understand the project scope better (the actual words I use).  The deadline dates are also estimates.  Don't let the milestones hinder your chance at winning a great job.  

*Side note*: add portfolio items to your profile.  As a writer you should have examples shown here as well as attached to each proposal. 

Hi Susan, 

The Community has been very helpful with your questions. How you set up your milestones will be up to you, and how you want to manage your freelance business and your contract with this specific client. If you think you need to divide the project into different chunks, you can note on your proposal why there's a need to do that. 

You may want to read up on these articles about setting up milestones here, and here, and this blog post that explains this feature to help you acquaint yourself with this system. Hopefully, this will help you be confident with setting up milestones when sending out proposals.

~ Avery
Upwork
robin_hyman
Community Member

Yalonda D wrote:

For longer projects, definitely request you be paid hourly.  For the shorter projects, milestones work.  Don't assume the project is complete when you send the first draft.  If you don't manage expectations upfront, clients will ask for change after change.  I include (1) round of client feedback with the opportunity for more revisions at a higher fixed rate.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths