🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Question about Tipping
Page options
calvin-platero
Community Member

Question about Tipping

I was wondering if it's a violation to ask for a tip from a client through direct paypal account. 

Or does Upwork have its own tipping option?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

Upwork has a bonus payment option.

All payments for clients you engaged through Upwork have to go through Upwork.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
wescowley
Community Member

Upwork has a bonus payment option.

All payments for clients you engaged through Upwork have to go through Upwork.

prestonhunter
Community Member

A client is allowed to pay a freelancer a bonus.

It is inappropriate and unprofessional for a freelancer to ask for a tip.

I respectfully disagree.

It is ok for a freelancer to ask for a tip every now and then.

Freelancers should also be asking for reviews at the close of every contract. 

While I do not make a habit out of asking for a bonus or a tip, there have been occasions where the client required extra hand holding and I went above and beyond to get the job done. Scope creep, client mistakes, unclear direction, etc. And in those cases, where it was clearly the client that made the job more difficult and I delivered despite those challenges, I have absolutely asked for a bonus.

I like you, have earned a lot of money on this platform. Over $600k on this platform and am expert vetted. Different strokes for different folks.

Morgan O wrote:

While I do not make a habit out of asking for a bonus or a tip, there have been occasions where the client required extra hand holding and I went above and beyond to get the job done. Scope creep, client mistakes, unclear direction, etc. 

In such cases, I would require an additional payment rather than asking for a bonus. Tipping is for bellhops and taxi drivers, IMO.

If ever a freelancer asked me for a tip, I would be shocked and would probably never hire the freelancer again.

As a freelancer, I enjoy being tipped but would never ever think of asking for a tip! Morgan's example is probably an exception, and I don't advise people to try imitating her without really thinking about what the implications might be.

In one project where i'm paid hourly, client mentioned i have found a crazy practical solution to a problem they had for a long time. Like i just touched their wound with a magic want and it disappeared. No way you can reflect this by an hourly rate. So i said "this is where the concept of bonus payments come in!" and we laughed. At the end of the contract he left a "huge" bonus payment.

I think the secret is balance. Always always ask for what you think you deserve. Never leave it unsaid. But it should be in a vibe that client is free to make their own choice. I'd have no problems or resentment if they havent paid any bonus. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Calvin P wrote:

I was wondering if it's a violation to ask for a tip from a client through direct paypal account. 

Or does Upwork have its own tipping option?

If you have asked a client for a tip through paypal, you have done 2 things wrong, one of those could potentially get your profile suspended. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths