🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Question about age limit outside of America
Page options
casper_van_dijk
Community Member

Question about age limit outside of America

Q:
Dear UpWork,

I have a question considering age. I recently turned 17 and was wondering what the age requirements were to use this platform as a way to find freelancing work. Some of my friends tell me the site requires you to be 18 years or older, but others tell me it is 16 years old, because that is the mininum age required to work here in the Netherlands.

Thank you for your support, I'm hoping to hear from you soon enough.
Casper van Dijk
the Netherlands
5 REPLIES 5
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Casper,

With a few exceptions, almost everyone over the age of 18 who has an Internet connection can apply to join. To learn more about eligibility to join Upwork check out this Help Article.  If you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "because that is the mininum age required to work here in the Netherlands."

Casper:

This has nothing to do with the minimum age required to work.

Upwork freelancers are not employees.

The 18-year-old minimum age requirement has its basis in the minimum age for entering into legal contracts.

A child under the age of 18 is considered a minor and is unable to sign a contract.

So Upwork doesn't want to host a system for freelancers who are too young for the contracts they enter into with clients to be considered legal or legitimate.

What Preston meant is that Upwork is a US corporation and in most US states, 18 is the minimum age to enter into a legally binding contract.  Upwork, therefore, has made 18 the minimum age to join, no matter where you live.

Okay so I wont be able to use upwork? Or even start an account?

re: "Okay so I wont be able to use upwork? Or even start an account?"

You are 17. You could wait one year, and work on your porfolio during that time.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths