🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Question about landing my first job!
Page options
veena_thomas
Community Member

Question about landing my first job!

Job description: online sample buyer of Amazon products, budget allocated for project by the client covers product cost

I still only have an active proposal out — and haven’t reached the contract stage yet.

The client says

“Contracts are created and funded via Upwork, however details of each shopping assignment, plus our general guidelines are posted to a dedicated Dropbox folder. I will require your personal email address to share this folder via Dropbox.
If you do not have a Dropbox account you should signup for the free basic account.
If you would like move forward with this opportunity please respond with your email address for the shared Dropbox assignment folder.“

Would sharing my email with the individual be considered a violation of my Upwork agreement?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Veena,

All conversations before a contract is started must be through Upwork Messages, where you can send messages, have video calls, and more.  A client or freelancer may only share an email address if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project prior to a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. Please see this article for more information about sharing of contact and other information.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Veena,

All conversations before a contract is started must be through Upwork Messages, where you can send messages, have video calls, and more.  A client or freelancer may only share an email address if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project prior to a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. Please see this article for more information about sharing of contact and other information.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you for this clarification, Bojan! Much appreciated.
sjbercot
Community Member

Veena, you should be aware that writing paid reviews for Amazon products is against the ToS, so if that's a part of this job, I'd avoid it.

Hi Sarah, thanks so much for the heads up. This is the job posting:

**Edited for community guidelines**     

Wondering if you could please help me identify if this would qualify as me violating Upwork’s ToS?

Thanks again for your previous insight!

Honestly, I can't say for sure. It seems fishy to me. It seems you will be paying shipping(?), and the only money coming in is just what will cover the cost of the product and fees. 

**Edited for community guidelines**     

I hope someone more knowledgeable chimes in. The client should pay you up front before you make any purchases, are they willing do that? 

Sounds like a scheme, not a job.

A scheme that only benefits the client and puts the freelancer at risk of losing her accounts.

Hi Veena,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the job you're referring to? I'll check it and advise you accordingly. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths