🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Question
Page options
g_markwell
Community Member

Question

I just started using Upwork as a freelancer. I submitted a proposal. Poster and I talked via phone and reached agreement on rate for work and what it would entail. After performing work, how do I get paid? Must he officialy "accept" my proposal on the platform?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Greg,

When working on Upwork, please make sure that you have a contract with a client before doing any work, and ensuring that they have a verified billing method so that the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection is also a good idea. I'd suggest browsing this thread which has helpful tips for new users and you can also check out this thread for tips on avoiding suspicious jobs and scams if you haven't already.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Greg,

When working on Upwork, please make sure that you have a contract with a client before doing any work, and ensuring that they have a verified billing method so that the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection is also a good idea. I'd suggest browsing this thread which has helpful tips for new users and you can also check out this thread for tips on avoiding suspicious jobs and scams if you haven't already.

~ Bojan
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "After performing work, how do I get paid?"

Without a contract in place, you can't get paid.

re: "Must he officialy 'accept' my proposal on the platform?"

Yes.

To see if you have a contract in place, look here:

Upwork -> MY JOBS -> My Jobs

The client must click a green "Hire" button. That notifies you that an offer has been made. You must then click a green "Accept" button in order to enter into a contract. Talking on the phone and agreeing to something doesn't count.

kat303
Community Member

Greg - How do you get paid.

1. you are sent an offer
  2. you either accept that offer or decline it.
  3. if you accept the offer, make sure the client's account is verified
  4. if this is an hourly job you download and use Tracker, and confirm to the procedures of Tracker for payment protection
  5. if this is a fixed rate job, yoiu make sure escrow is FULLY funded BEFORE starting work

And MOST important, yoiu learn how to use this site correctly before submitting any more proposals. Lick on the ? (question mark ) on the home page and choose Help and support. Then go through every section and link. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths