🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Questions about experience level and client b...
Page options
bell-murraysan28
Community Member

Questions about experience level and client budget

Hello,  I have just joined Upwork and have several questions.

While I have many years of work experience I am fairly new to freelancing.  Therefore, I've described my skills as Entry Level.  Am I correct in understanding that this is more a self assessment that prospective clients do not see?  If so, it would seem to follow that I can apply to opportunities looking for a different level of expertise provided I'm confident that my skills are a match.

I notice some jobs have a budget listed as low as $5.00.  Is it expected that freelancers can negotiate a higher amount or are these seen as opportunties to build your reputation on Upwork?

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kat303
Community Member

Sandy, your skill level is NOT referring to how new you are to freelancing. It is your skills, expertise and experience in the type of work you do. I don't know what your skills are, but for example, if you've been working with Excel for a long time and know advanced formulas and can program in VB, your skill level would be expert. (or whatever the highest is listed) even though you are new here.

As for jobs that have a budget of $5.00, it depends on the job description. Sometimes clients don't know how much a job will cost and they just place that figure in. Then again, there are a lot of bargain basement clients who want the moon and stars for $5.00.

IMO you submit a proposal for what YOU think YOU are worth. If you think your work, experience etc are only woth $5, then that's what you bid. But if you have years of experience etc, then you would submit proposals much higher. If you bid low, below what you're worth, you're putting yourself in the basement and competing with 1,000's of sub par "cheap" freelancers.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
r_skane
Community Member

I am new to Upwork as well, but not new to freelancing. Regardless, if you have many years of experience and you value your own work, I don't think you should consider yourself entry level at all. Raise your level and search for jobs by using the filter for intermediate and expert jobs. That's my opinion! 🙂

Thanks for the fast response Rebecca!  'Makes perfect sense.

kat303
Community Member

Sandy, your skill level is NOT referring to how new you are to freelancing. It is your skills, expertise and experience in the type of work you do. I don't know what your skills are, but for example, if you've been working with Excel for a long time and know advanced formulas and can program in VB, your skill level would be expert. (or whatever the highest is listed) even though you are new here.

As for jobs that have a budget of $5.00, it depends on the job description. Sometimes clients don't know how much a job will cost and they just place that figure in. Then again, there are a lot of bargain basement clients who want the moon and stars for $5.00.

IMO you submit a proposal for what YOU think YOU are worth. If you think your work, experience etc are only woth $5, then that's what you bid. But if you have years of experience etc, then you would submit proposals much higher. If you bid low, below what you're worth, you're putting yourself in the basement and competing with 1,000's of sub par "cheap" freelancers.

Hi Kathy,

Great advice and very helpful!  Thanks very much.  I've already changed my skill level.

soldexxter
Community Member

hi, in my opinion it is ok to put your entry skills, but I also think that they should be supported with your portfolio, if so, you will not have problem my advice is to apply to jobs that need your skills.

with respect to the budget of the work is negotiable as long as the client wants, once the client accepts your proposal, you can get in touch with him and be able to talk about the work, the price, time, all the information you need to know, once the two parties are in agreement he will send you the contract and you can accept that contract or not if you accept it you will start to do the job, if not, nothing has happened

Thanks very much Wuilmer!  This helps.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths