🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Questions about what is allowed?
Page options
hroles
Community Member

Questions about what is allowed?

Does someone who has listed a post for a bookkeeper have the right to asked the person they are interested in hiring to use their own personal credit cards and accounts to make purchases for their account? Is that allowed? I do not want to be scammed here as I am a new hire so to speak. I just want to know what I can do or what can be done to check out the person asking for this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
julielynntry
Community Member

that is a scam and you should report the project to upwork. sorry you got hooked and hopefully you didn't actually do it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
kat303
Community Member

Sure sounds like a scam to me. I personally would not use my credit card to purchase products for a client. If the client has an account why would they need your credit card to make purchases for their account. Are these purchases stolen merchandise? Do you know you will be liable for the payment of these purchases in case the client disappears, You will be responsible for anything financial. 

hroles
Community Member

It is to purchase cryptocurrency. I am familiar with cryptocurrency I am just not too fond of using my accounts to buy cryptocurrency for their coin address and then getting reimbursed. He texted my phone saying that he added me as an authorized user of his checking account with the routing number and account number. I do not know what to do.  Also, He said about paying me directly. Is that allowed by upwork guidelines?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

All payments between you and the client for your work must go through Upwork's payment system.

I have only ever paid out money on behalf of a very small number of clients I know well and trust completely. That doesn't sound like the situation you are in.

hroles
Community Member

What can I do about the proposal so someone else doesn't get the same thing with this person?  He is also a new member according to the job posting.  and stuff. 

Hit the "Flag as inappropriate" button and fill in the reason (scam).

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Heather, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience on Upwork. I checked your account and will go ahead and forward the client's job post to the team for their review.

In the future, you may flag the job post as inappropriate by going to the job post, and clicking on the "Flag as inappropriate" link. You may also file a ticket with our support team to be able to share screen grabs of your conversation with your client. 

I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

Heather R wrote:

It is to purchase cryptocurrency. I am familiar with cryptocurrency I am just not too fond of using my accounts to buy cryptocurrency for their coin address and then getting reimbursed. He texted my phone saying that he added me as an authorized user of his checking account with the routing number and account number. I do not know what to do.  Also, He said about paying me directly. Is that allowed by upwork guidelines?

Clearly a scam. Why can't they buy their own cryptocurrency if they want to?

julielynntry
Community Member

that is a scam and you should report the project to upwork. sorry you got hooked and hopefully you didn't actually do it.

Okay thank you so much

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths