🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Questions from a newbie
Page options
wanwang27
Community Member

Questions from a newbie

Hello, I am a relatively new freelancer here. There are a few things that I've been wondering about:
1. There seems to be conflicting details between the website and app version of Upwork. What I'm referring to is that the website version has "Hires" on the job details, and the app version has "Hired". This really confuses me.

2. If a client hires someone else other than me, would the job proposal disappear instantly or would it stay there until the job offer has been completed?
(this is related to the 1st question)

3. Some clients don't check their posts for a long time, would I get my Connects back if I withdraw? (If I don't, why?)

4. What does the yellow dot hovering on a client's profile mean (in the chatroom)?
Thanks in advance.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christopher, 

Please see my answers below: 

1. "Hires" refer to more than one freelancer hired for the project. 

2. If a client hires another freelancer for the project, the job post will remain in the marketplace unless the client, or Upwork closes the job post. 

3. Please, note that connects are not returned when you withdraw your proposal. Connects are only returned when the job post without hire is cancelled by either the client or Upwork. You can go to Settings> Membership & Connects> View Connects History to keep track of used and returned connects. Please, check this help article for more information about using Connects.

4. The yellow dot means that the client is away, or idle, and is not active. The green dot means that the person is online.

Christopher, since you are new to Upwork, I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christopher, 

Please see my answers below: 

1. "Hires" refer to more than one freelancer hired for the project. 

2. If a client hires another freelancer for the project, the job post will remain in the marketplace unless the client, or Upwork closes the job post. 

3. Please, note that connects are not returned when you withdraw your proposal. Connects are only returned when the job post without hire is cancelled by either the client or Upwork. You can go to Settings> Membership & Connects> View Connects History to keep track of used and returned connects. Please, check this help article for more information about using Connects.

4. The yellow dot means that the client is away, or idle, and is not active. The green dot means that the person is online.

Christopher, since you are new to Upwork, I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths