🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Questions regarding hourly jobs and client pa...
Page options
61b44475
Community Member

Questions regarding hourly jobs and client payment not being verified

Hello

I have 2 questions:-

1. Does a job with hourly payment mean that client can ask for unlimited changes? I know I will be paid for the time I will work on the job, making those changes. I just want to know whether the client is allowed to ask for unlimited changes as an unsaid rule in an hourly job.

2. Is it safe to apply for a job irrespective of the payment type (hourly or fixed price) if the client's payment method is not verified?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Does a job with hourly payment mean that client can ask for unlimited changes? I know I will be paid for the time I will work on the job, making those changes. I just want to know whether the client is allowed to ask for unlimited changes as an unsaid rule in an hourly job."

Answer: Yes.

With an hourly contract the client may ask for unlimited changes.

And this is a good thing for the freelancer.

The more changes that the client asks for, the more money the freelancer makes.

🙂

Having said that, Upwork does not REQUIRE a freelancer to do anything that he doesn't want to.

For example, a client named John hired two freelancers to draw pictures. The client hired Nancy and David.

After submitting their illustration, the client asked the freelancers to make changes.

Nancy made unlimited changes. She counted. The client asked for 590 changes. Nancy earned a lot of money on that one illustration!

David was a different kind of artist. He considered himself an "artiste." He refused to make a single change to his original version of the illustration.

Both freelancers were following Upwork rules, although their personal policies about changes were quite difficult. It was up to the client to decide if he wanted to continue working with these freelancers.

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply for the first question. I just wanted clarification, whether the clients are aware that freelancers have right to refuse any changes? I mean, do freelancers get an option in the dashboard to refuse changes right away and ask for due payment.

I am sorry I really don't know how this works and due to lack of my understanding regarding the same I am missing out on hourly jobs.

Also if you could also answer the second question regarding "payment method not verified", it will be a great help.

Thanks a lot for your response

Aseem J wrote:

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply for the first question. I just wanted clarification, whether the clients are aware that freelancers have right to refuse any changes? I mean, do freelancers get an option in the dashboard to refuse changes right away and ask for due payment.

You don't ask for payment with hourly contracts; you log your hours and then the client is automatically charged. However, if you make a mistake and refuse to fix it, or you're otherwise unreasonable about doing revisions, you can expect that the client will leave you a bad review.

As for your second question, you can't tell whether a project is safe unless you communicate clearly with the client, you're aware of how to use Upwork correctly, and you use some common sense. A scammer may have a verified payment method, and legit new clients might have an unverified payment method. Payment verification means nothing by itself. You're running your own business here, so it's part of your job to vet clients.

Hello

Thanks a lot for your response.

I was obviously asking about payment in case I have done the job properly. But now I have understood what you meant

Thanks again

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths