cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Racism and Profile Picture Requirement

Serita W Member Since: Jul 27, 2019
11 of 20
I actually asked people on social media as well and they all said they experienced similar issues. As I said before, implicit bias in computer science and data science operates differently than other fields. Thank you all very much. I'll try "not to worry about race" but I'll also be cancelling my plus membership, which was my actual question.
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 20

Serita W wrote:
I actually asked people on social media as well and they all said they experienced similar issues. As I said before, implicit bias in computer science and data science operates differently than other fields. Thank you all very much. I'll try "not to worry about race" but I'll also be cancelling my plus membership, which was my actual question.

There seems to be a wave of colour bias at the moment. It is up to all of us, regardless of skin or race, to fight it.  A top British tennis player says she gets insulted on social media practically every day, but has learned to contend with it. It beggars belief ... 

As to the plus membership, I really can't see the value of it unless you are starved for connects, or are determined to hide your earnings. When I run out, I will simply buy a batch. 

Kelly L Member Since: Nov 22, 2019
13 of 20
Telling people of color not to "worry about race" is quite insulting.

I'm new, and still learning the ropes. I feel extremely uncomfortable that freelancers have to show our profile photo, but folks on the other side of the agreement do not.
Community Leader
william b Member Since: Jan 3, 2015
14 of 20

KL,

Welcome to UW.

Perhaps you've misunderstood some basics about UW freelancing.

To be clear-

Neither You nor anyone else is obligated to include your photo in your job profile.

Of course this may or may not have a direct effect on your job opportunities but this is entirely your choice. Neither are you obligated to include a portfolio of your work or a job history of your experience. 

On this platform you pay your money and you take your chances!

Please feel free to reach out at anytime and again, welcome!

Darryl E Member Since: Feb 13, 2018
15 of 20

You miss the point of her post. IF a photo lessens your job opportunities under Upwork requirements for a complete profile and IF there is cultural and systemic bias in the U.S. (which data tells us there is), then the photo requirement does, indeed, have the impact of causing systemic inequality in job opportunity. 

Of course it is her choice. Your response, unfortunately, demonstrates a lack of understanding about the path in which others travel vs. your own -- and that's unfortunate. 

Martin N Member Since: Mar 23, 2020
16 of 20

Hello Serita,

I am having the same issue. I was a Plus member for a few months with next to no luck. Also I have been using upwork for more than 5 years and I have only been hired once. However, I know people will say "How About You Change Your Profile Or Just Keep Applying." Some people just like to hire people who look like them! Best of luck Serita!

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
17 of 20

Hi Martin, 

Thank you for participating in this thread. I would like to note that this thread is from 2019, but I understand why it's important to discuss this topic. 

I would recommend that you check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Hopefully, this helps you with your Upwork career. Good luck!

-Avery
Untitled
Nicole R Member Since: Dec 3, 2020
18 of 20

Thank you so much for sharing these resources. Even as the thread is a bit dated, the concerns that are being vocalized here are of significant relevance to where I would have to ask if anything is being done on Upwork's side to address it?

I too am experiencing a hard time with landing clients on Upwork. Stated this with the utmost humily, but I have a completed profile + full portfolio with links to my work, 2 degrees, years of fortune 500 company experience, 21 - 5 star reviews on Google, Entrepenur magazine contributor, Top Course Instructor on Udemy with over 4,800 students, and have only been hired once on Guru and that was by someone that looked like me.

I do beleive that many of us are the equivalant of our conterparts and some perhaps in the top percentile, but that's not reflected in the top earners on Upwork for the United States. Yes there are many of us that do well, but can we honestly say that when a picture of us is the first thing seen that this wouldn't impede on many of us getting hired?

Ace Contributor
Chester O Member Since: Jun 29, 2020
19 of 20
Hello, I am new to upwork but already knows how this system works. Landed some jobs and have ratings. I thought after getting few jobs and some rating then landing other jobs won't be difficult, but it is now a pain the ass. A client once rejected my offer because he/she preferred another, and of course because I was black. I had to check the job and saw the client hired a white woman for the job, who is over her 50s and I was over qualified for the project, even the client stated it themselves. I feel having our country's shown is very bad for people who don't live in the USA and ontop of that being black, you feel so inferior. And hardly gets jobs. It's just the way it is.
Conrad D Member Since: Oct 16, 2018
20 of 20
Agreed before that policy, with my portfolio alone I was able to get soooo many responses and work! Now zero!
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS