🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Rate and Profile
Page options
maryrossi
Community Member

Rate and Profile

Hi, I hope someone can give me some feedback and advice on how to make Upwork really work!

I have 30 years' experience as a creative writer, working with my husband who founded/directed an arts mentoring nonprofit that served at risk kids. I've written web copy for about 25 years, grant proposals to raise a lot of money, and then marketing copy on our website to sell our arts mentoring book & software. I've created 2 animated videos, autoresponder emails to go to people who signed up for the 10-day  free software download, and on and on.

Now for the bad part. I've been with Upwork for about 2.5 months. I've had 5 interviews and 5 jobs after submitting 77 proposals! I have a 91% JSS (I learned a LOT with 2 clients that didn't work out - luckily, no bad reviews just no reviews). I have a complete portfolio and - I think - a good profile. Also, I will be more aware of red flags raised during interviews 🙂

I have changed my rate from $65 to $46, but it hasn't helped. I realize you just took a lot of time to read through this, so thank you! If you have a little more time, could you please give me some feedback on why I'm not doing better?

Thank you!

Mary-Helen

8 REPLIES 8
mtngigi
Community Member

Better yet, do a forum search for "Danny Margulies" and you'll read many threads about how bogus he is. Don't bother.

I can't speak to why you're not doing better, but surely you're aware of the astronomical numbers of writers on this site. You have to keep slogging along amid fierce competition. One thing I will suggest - revising your profile title so it doesn't read like a sentence, but simply states what you do. That may help the search algorithm thing.

Thank you Virginia. I'm glad to hear about Danny M as I had almost signed up (but then read a proposal where he starts out "I don't usually look for jobs as I'm so busy, but ..."

I'll go change my title.  Thank you for being so helpful!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

That's a 6% conversion rate. I've been here for nearly 2 1/2 years and mine is only 8% and I feel I'm doing pretty well. UW is not my only source of income but it's a chunk, and I have as much as I can handle right now, overall. (I freelance full-time, just not all on UW.) It took a while to get traction, though. It took over a year for me to feel like I really had some momentum.

I suggest revamping your profile overview for one reason: a client only sees the first couple of lines unless they click it open, which they won't unless the first two lines grab them. IMO your third paragraph contains the most important material for them to see first.

I'm not primarily a writer, but it seems to me your rate is well justified by your credentials, I would not drop it further. You don't want to attract bargain shoppers and bottom feeders, they're not worth dealing with.

What a thoughtful and very much appreciated reply! I'm on my way back to my profile to see what the heck I wrote in my 3rd paragraph 🙂

Mary-Helen R wrote:

What a thoughtful and very much appreciated reply! I'm on my way back to my profile to see what the heck I wrote in my 3rd paragraph 🙂

You're really not doing that bad, so relax 😉

Consider that 90% of the over 2 million freelancer on upwork never made a dime. 

So just keep submitting proposals and aim for repeat customers, which you surely will find. 

How very sweet. You and the others who have answered my plea for help have given me such confidence that I'm on the right track and just need to keep plugging.

THANK YOU!

maryrossi
Community Member

To Virginia, Phyllis, and Martina: THANK YOU! I took your profile suggestions and also applied them to my proposal writing and guess what? I've been hired to ghost write a book!! It's an ongoing job with a client who has other jobs for me as well.

You were/are awesome to help me out like that, I honestly can't thank you enough. Perhaps you can feel my big 'ol smile wherever you are, thank you!

Mary-Helen R wrote:

To Virginia, Phyllis, and Martina: THANK YOU! I took your profile suggestions and also applied them to my proposal writing and guess what? I've been hired to ghost write a book!! It's an ongoing job with a client who has other jobs for me as well.

You were/are awesome to help me out like that, I honestly can't thank you enough. Perhaps you can feel my big 'ol smile wherever you are, thank you!

Congrats, girl! I'm very happy to hear that!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths