Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: About getting Job Quickly

etobillion
Etobi D Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
1 of 5

hello,

am a newbie to upwork and i sincerely look forward to getting jobs which i can work on.

I will be delighted to get any assistance on how to land a job at the entry level

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 5

Number one, you're not a Native English Speaker.  Clients can tell that by looking at your overview.  Don't ever insult a client's intelligence.  

Number two, this is freelancing. You could land a project tomorrow or 2 months from now. If you're looking for quick money, you need to refer to the brick and mortar world. 

Quick money does not equate with Upwork. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
etobillion
3 of 5

thanks for the heads up. 

wish to ask, i can speak ans write english at the native level

i can express myself in idoms and colloquials,

i've got a mastery of the language both in professional and ordinary sectors, 

i wasn't born in any native country but i have lived my entire life communicating in this language.

so, is it wrong to classify myself as a native?

i have no intention of being a humbug simply because am in dire need for jobs on this site.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 5

Okay I will try to explain.   I am a Native English speaker from Texas (southern dialect but hey it still counts)  I have done editing and proofreading. I've done website content writing, and I'm about to write my own book.  So with that said even though I'm a native English speaker who has edited and proofread many projects. I'm going to hire an Upwork freelancer (already have three or four in mind) to edit and proofread my book. Your posts and your overview is proof that you're not a native speaker.  You are conversational at best.  

It won't keep you from getting hired, but if a client reads your overview and sees you are claiming native, they will see that it is a farce (joke). The clients will think you're trying to mislead them.  All you have to do is be honest. That's it. Say what you can do and to what extent you can do it. I write occasionally, am I a writer, no!! I work for several content writers and I edit their audios as I go along and they are completely happy with that. Would I ghost write for someone? No I wouldn't. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
etobillion
5 of 5

roger that

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS