cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Account on Hold - Video Verification Requested

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
51 of 187

If your account has been suspended, you will receive an e-mail explaining why and what steps, if any, can be taken to reinstate your account.

Yes, UpWork does have the right to ask for ID Verification by whatever legal means they find necessary.  This is a step taken to ensure that proper tax codes are being followed, among other factors they, as a company must deal with.

Overall, you really should check your e-mail and consider sorting the issue with support before asking everyone to give up their source of income based on your current situation and frustration.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
52 of 187

You don't seem to understand. This freelancer may be a special case. According to his [suspended] profile, his job title is "Fantastic Wizard." That sure has my drab "Proofreader/Copyeditor/Medical Editor/Translator" all beat to hell.

Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
53 of 187

"Do the upwork support team have the right for video call and identification card verification?

Then what is the privacy of freelancers?

And another thing, if all developers can verify their video call and can verify via identification card, who will work here? Perhaps they will get the perfect full-time job without any freelancing work!!!

I warn you upwork team!!! - you'll loose all the freelancers and clients if you continue to do like that!!

Most of people don't like to be verified."

Lol if you were to go out and try to search for a "regular job," the employers would want to verify your identity in some way. The only difference here is that you're trying to work for potential clients and not employers. You can't come here and expect everything to be ridiculously easy. That's just not a realistic expectation. This is still business. 

As for your account being suspended, Upwork doesn't just suspend accounts for no reason. You should be notified of the reason, so that you can rectify whatever got your account suspended in the first place. But I assure you, if your account is reactivated but your attitude does not improve, you will have very little success here. 

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
54 of 187

Nia said:

if your account is reactivated but your attitude does not improve, you will have very little success here. 

I am especially struck by the OP's line: "I warn you upwork team !!!" (With the multiple exclamation marks.)

There is a currently lively discussion thread in "Coffee Break" about the unusual attitudes of some (not all!) millenials  (unusual perspectives on their place in the working world) that may be instructive/relevant, here. 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
55 of 187

Yeah ... maybe we should link this thread to that one. If that's his real photo, he's proving the OP's point quite well.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
56 of 187

Hi Silvano,

Honestly, we wish this step was not needed. But unfortunately there are sometimes fraudulent profiles on Upwork and we want to better ensure our marketplace is a secure place for upstanding freelancers and clients to connect and work together. As a part of this new program we ask new freelancers to verify their profile information during a brief video chat with an Upwork team member.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Rin V Member Since: Dec 1, 2016
57 of 187

Hello,

My account has been suspended for no reason a couple of days ago. I can't seem to find the answer to this problem anywhere and have not been able to find an option to speak with someone to get this issue resolved. Although I know that no one here will know the reason for this I am seeking advice as to how to get this issue resolved as fast as possible. Thank you

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
58 of 187

There's always a reason, and Upwork sends you that information in an email, so you should check your email. If that's not a real photo of you, that could be the reason, or one of them anyway.

Rin V Member Since: Dec 1, 2016
59 of 187

Yes, I understand that there is a reason. But I have not received any information from Upwork in an email.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
60 of 187

Hi Rin,

Please, check your email inbox for a notification that Upwork sent to you a few days ago with detailed instructions on how to verify your account.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS