cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Possible Scam

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
1 of 3

Read through the forum.  This has been asked and answered multiple times every day.

Yes.  It's a scam.  No, you cannot received any type of payment except through Upwork.

Flag the job as fraud and move on - but first PLEASE read everything available on Upwork on how the platform works and how to avoid scams.

Freelancers don't get benefits, either.  And pretty much any invitation you get when you are new is a scam.  Newbies don't get invitations.  Even experienced freelancers don't typically get many that are appropriate.

Never give out any personal information to a client.  Upwork has your information - the client doesn't need anything except your name.

And never begin work until you have agrered to a contract and it shows on your "My jobs" tab. No unpaid tests, either.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 3

Mary is right.

It's the same thing. Every day.

I wish the scammers would mix it up a bit, just for my own entertainment. But they rarely vary in their approach. Down to the last detail, they just repeat the same scam over and over. For the main fake check scam.

There are a few other scams, which also get repeated, but the Google hangouts/fake check scam is the main one.

Of course, those of us who are experienced Upwork users and Forum participants can recognize a scam within less than a second (not an exaggeration). But Upwork doesn't provide scam awareness training for newbies. So a lot of them waste a lot of time (and sometimes money) participating in these scams.

Sophia W Member Since: Mar 13, 2017
3 of 3
Annoying
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS