🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Ready to throw in the Towel
Page options
anitajshah
Community Member

Ready to throw in the Towel

I joined Upwork in August.  I also upgraded to one of the paid plans.  I've been checking the site several times a day and submitting proposals to jobs that I know I can complete.  Within 2 days of joining I was hired for 2 small jobs.  However, nothing after that.  I have submitted so many proposals.  I know I'm qualified.  I respond quickly to any inquiries.  I did receive a positive response from a client that wanted me to do an unethical task, like post fake reviews.  I turned them down.  Others wanted to speak to me via another route, such as Facebook or email.  As expected, they didn't want to pay via Upwork and they asked me to do something that was not right, which I turned down as well.  And yes, I reported these to Upwork.  I've used up all my connects, almost.  It seems I am making more money doing free surveys than on Upwork.  I cannot bring up my Upwork Job score without jobs.  The 2 jobs I performed successfully were at a fixed rate.  Thinking of leaving and trying another site.  If anyone has any constructive criticism or words of encouragement I could use them about now.

5 REPLIES 5
louisaj
Community Member

Hi Anita,

All I can offer is advice to be patient. It took me 2 months to land my first client, and 3 weeks after that to land my next. I think I got 3 clients the following month. Then a few more the month after. This was early 2016. 2.5 years later, I now have completed 295 jobs.

It took me 5 months to have enough clients to work freelance full-time. I don't think it is viable to expect the money to roll in straightaway. 

Perserverance is key. Also, the months August and September have always been quiet for me on here. December to March has always been the busiest months for me.

Make sure each application is written fresh, make sure you only apply to jobs you can do well, and if you are lacking in experience on here, mention experience from past jobs, lightly outlining past projects. Look at any deadlines they mention and let them know that is OK for you. 

I wish you well,

Louisa

versailles
Community Member

@Anita S wrote:

If anyone has any constructive criticism or words of encouragement I could use them about now.

Anita, here are some first impressions after having read your profile. First, you are making a mistake many beginners make in believing that by adding services you will increase your chances of selling. It doesn't work. It's not breaking news, you already know this.

Your overview is just a mix of things that you think you can sell: amateur writing, transcription, Excel and whatnot, plus your education. It's a very bad overview and a very bad profile. A well-written overview talks to the client, not about you and your education, there is a section for that in the profile. A good overview tells the client what you can do for them and what kind of problems you can solve.

The most successful freelancers on Upwork do one thing. Often, not always but often, they are even specialized in one niche.

Drop blogger and amateur blogger. Upwork is full of bloggers, most of them are true amateurs in the bad sense of the word. Clients who hire bloggers on Upwork are cheap. Very cheap. About everything. Everyone and their cousin can write blog articles, only seasoned and good writers can produce engaging content. Can you compete?

Forget blogging.

MS office skills are usually used for data entry, something that people all around the world offer at $3/hour or even less. It's not a skill, it's a commodity. You have zero chances to strive in data entry.

PowerPoint designs are often beautifully created by professional designers. Can you compete?

At this point, it seems that there is not much left from your overview, is it?

That's good news, now you can start from scratch. Pick a service, something you're very good at and is not saturated already. And write an appealing overview to sell it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Thanks for the feedback.  I recently changed my profile to bullet/list items because I read somewhere else on Upwork that Clients prefer that style.  I also "downgraded" my services from what I know I can do, to data entry and transcription in order to obtain a Job Score.  However, based on your feedback, I think I have come full circle.  I have changed my profile (2 min ago) to reflect what I had hoped to do when I joined Upwork.  I was wondering if you could look at it and tell me what you think.  I appreciate the feedback you've provided so far.

Way better. My advice (wait till others chime in before doing anything): drop fiction editor. On Upwork, fiction often means low rates while technical may involve professional clients.

Rewrite your first sentence and try to talk about the services you offer rather than about your education. The first two lines are the only ones visible in search, make them count.

You should drop this: Reading and writing and reading have always been a passion of mine. Not only because you have reading twice, but because it sounds amateurish.

Drop this: My previous Upwork jobs have been at fixed rates However, if you count my professional experience outside of Upwork, I have over 30,000 hours of experience. It sounds like you're making excuses. You don't need to make any excuses.

An editor? Okay, then you totally need a portfolio. Also, retake this test when you can: English Spelling Test (U.S. Version). You cannot be Above average

(Edit: put a professional photo. Also, clients can see your previous earnings, no need to hide them.)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Well, you've had a better start than most, so don't give up just yet. Define your niche and then apply only to those jobs. Take more tests. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths