🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Received Client Contact but Never Applied
Page options
brian-conner
Community Member

Received Client Contact but Never Applied

A client has posted a request for me to contact her on Facebook or WhatsApp, but I never applied for that job.

Now, when I try to reply to her request, to ask if we can keep contacts on Upwork, there is a line near the bottom that says she doesn't have access to Upwork.

I'm guessing that last part means she might have violated ToS. If that's true, what should I do? I do not not to violated the ToS, not even accidentally.

Thank you,

Brian Conner

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

How does contacting a "client" on Facebook or WhatApp - a client who doesn't have access to Upwork - make it so that I get paid?

This "client" is wasting my time.

I am just deleting these messages immediately and not spending any time with this.

I am not even going to try to report this to Upwork, because if this person is not on Upwork, I can't flag their job post, and Upwork can't ban anybody from Upwork who isn't able to use Upwork in the first place.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

How does contacting a "client" on Facebook or WhatApp - a client who doesn't have access to Upwork - make it so that I get paid?

This "client" is wasting my time.

I am just deleting these messages immediately and not spending any time with this.

I am not even going to try to report this to Upwork, because if this person is not on Upwork, I can't flag their job post, and Upwork can't ban anybody from Upwork who isn't able to use Upwork in the first place.

Thank you, Preston. A moment ago, I pulled up the Job again, and now it says the job psoting has been removed. The timing of all of this caused confusion in my newbie brain.

I first read some otehr posts here in Community, and found out that an initial contact from the client asking to go to email, Facebook, or other is not necessarily a bad thing, but to be cautious.

So far, of all 12 jobs I have made Proposals for, 4 of them have quickly been banned for violating the ToS.

Oh well, back into the breech. Thank again.

Brian **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Brian,

You can also check out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, and the Safety first section on this Thread. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you, sir. I have done that, and have read both several times.

Brian **Edited for community guidelines**

By the way, beginning this morning, I am only doing Proposals for clients that have joined Upwork earlier than today or this week, and only client with verified payments. At least for now, unless I get some jobs under my belt.

And as Martina suggested, I am going to take a few more tests, and add at least a couple of articles to my Portfolio.

Thank you all.

If it makes you feel any better, it IS common for newbie entry-level freelancers such as yourself to be targeted by scammers.

But experienced freelancers such as myself are NOT targeted.

Scammers don't make money off of experienced freelances, so they leave us alone.

Personally, I NEVER encounter scammers in my Upwork activities. I receive MANY invites. NONE of them are from scammers. And none of the jobs I apply to are scams.

I only know about scammers due to my participation in the Forum, where I read about other people's experiences.

So that is something you can look forward to, if you decide to stay on.

Thank you, sir. Yes, it makes me feel better and yes, I am staying on.

Brian C wrote:

So far, of all 12 jobs I have made Proposals for, 4 of them have quickly been banned for violating the ToS.

Those a not great numbers! Usually the scammers target newbies by unsolicited invitation, not by proposal. So you might work on your client selection method.

As Preston said, scammers stay away from serious looking profiles. You can improve your profile by adding a portfolio and doing some tests. 

Thank you, ma'am. I will try to do that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths