🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Received a terms of service violation not...
Page options
0571aba8
Community Member

Received a terms of service violation notice, but don't understand why

Hello all:

I received the following email about a supposed terms of service violation. Shown between the dashed lines. My comments follow it.

==========================================

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

However, I have never changed my profile name since the day I joined Upwork, and do not see what changes I need to make to meet the requirements. It is my REAL name, and it is the same name I have used for my banking information as well as tax information.

Can someone suggest what might be wrong? Or is this some phishing email?

Thanks,

Nilo **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Nilotpal,

Please try clearing your cache and cookies or logging in with another browser. If you`re still unable to click the pencil case to update your name let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nilo,

I checked your account and to confirm that this is not a phishing email but it is from our team. 
I also noticed that your name is written in CAPS and this is not allowed, only your first initials can be written in CAPS. 
Feel free to follow up directly on the ticket with any questions and our team will assist you further, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks very much for your reassuring response. I see that my profile name is
in lower case, except for the first letter. Thus, I am unable to see what
more I should do. Also, while many aspects of the profile can be edited (the
little pencil symbol), the name appears not to be an editable parameter.

Please can you tell me how I might edit my name to make it lower case. (I'm
quite sure I did not do it in that unusual way, but I've been a member since
2017 without this being noticed.)

Thanks again very much for your prompt help.

Hi Nilotpal,

Please try clearing your cache and cookies or logging in with another browser. If you`re still unable to click the pencil case to update your name let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you. Using another browser I was able to change my name from all caps.

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Nilo,

I checked your account and to confirm that this is not a phishing email but it is from our team. 
I also noticed that your name is written in CAPS and this is not allowed, only your first initials can be written in CAPS. 
Feel free to follow up directly on the ticket with any questions and our team will assist you further, thank you.

----------------------

Goran, why have you written "caps" in capital letters. That is an editorial no-no (both in UK and US English). It could also be interpreted as shouting - so a smack on the wrist for you!  

I know that caps are not allowed, but in fact, I can't find this anywhere in the ToS - please correct me if I have missed this. 

petra_r
Community Member

If it is your real name and It is not an uncommon name, just respond and declare that.

You may be asked for ID, but it should be sorted easily enough.

Edited to add: I missed the fact it's in caps. That is what you need to change...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths