🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Received request from client for returnin...
Page options
vernestorovski
Community Member

Received request from client for returning funds from escrow, but the client didn’t requested...

Hello Upwork team!
I have received a request from my client for returning funds from escrow. I have contacted my client and he said that he did not request a return of funds.
I need to give a response, but I don’t know if I should choose that I do not approve this request and want to file a dispute, because the client didn’t requested return of funds. 
What shoul I do next?

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Verche,

I checked your contract and can confirm that the refund request is for the funds in Escrow. One of our team members will reach out to your clients directly to clear the confusion and assist them further directly. 
If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for the quick response,
I don't need to respond anything on my escrow refund request?
Thank you

Verche N wrote:
Thank you for the quick response,
I don't need to respond anything on my escrow refund request?
Thank you

Not yet, you have 7 days to react to it. Has the milestone been alive for 90 days? That's when Upwork automatically closes the contract and that triggers a "request to return the escrow funds"

Unfortunately yes, the milestone has been alive for 90 days, but the job
was finished, the client knows and has the materials but he didn't close
the contract, and I don't know the reason for that.

Thank you

Hi Verche,

You have 7 days to respond to the refund request. If you don't respond in 7 days the funds will be returned to your client. If you decline the refund request a dispute will be opened for you and your client. 
I would also suggest communicating with your client about taking the next step. Our team has also reached out to your client with more details. They can reply directly on their ticket if they have any additional questions.
Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Verche N wrote:
Unfortunately yes, the milestone has been alive for 90 days, but the job
was finished, the client knows and has the materials but he didn't close
the contract, and I don't know the reason for that.

But why did you not use the "Submit work for payment" button to send the client the finished work? That is what it's there for....

When I finish something on a fixed price contract I use that, and only that, and every time that, to send the work to the client.

You need to either dispute the return request, or ask the client to pay you as a bonus, and then (ONLY after that) approve the return of the Escrow funds.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths