🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Reduction in proposal responses
Page options
smylus
Community Member

Reduction in proposal responses

Hi there, fellow Upwork-ers. I've been on the platform for about 3 months now, and during the first 2, as I got used to using the site, work started regularly coming in. Since the beginning of September though, despite applying for almost everything within my fields, I've gotton virtually no new work. I'm a bit flummixed as my portfoilos have got better and better as I've progressed, and I'm very quick to respond to new listings. My ratings have been 90% good, but so little in terms of work is coming back. Can anyone explain this? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Has there perhaps been a sudden increase in Upwork uses, therefore making work much more competative? Or is this just a lull? Does anyone have any advice to improve this situation. Thanks! Shaun

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shaun,

Thank you for your message. I took a look at your profile and have a few suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients.
  • Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
  • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
  • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 

Also, you have a number of contracts without feedback. No feedback on too many contracts can count negatively toward your Job Success Score. When a contract is complete, we advise that you ask the client to close the contract so that they are required to leave feedback.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shaun,

Thank you for your message. I took a look at your profile and have a few suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients.
  • Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
  • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
  • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 

Also, you have a number of contracts without feedback. No feedback on too many contracts can count negatively toward your Job Success Score. When a contract is complete, we advise that you ask the client to close the contract so that they are required to leave feedback.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
smylus
Community Member

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. I shall take that all into consideration.

Best,

Shaun

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths