🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Refer a friend
Page options
brenda-bridges
Community Member

Refer a friend

Does Upwork have a refer a friend or a referral program?

24 REPLIES 24
prestonhunter
Community Member

There is no program.

If you have a friend who you think might benefit from using Upwork, then simply tell her about it.

mrsmartin1001
Community Member

Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering as well as I'm always recommending Upwork. I may move to another platform that does have an referal/affiliate program.

Hi  Melinda yup you are right 

tlsanders
Community Member

It's unlikely that Upwork will introduce a referral program for freelancers, because there are far too many freelancers in most categories. In fact, Upwork has recently taken steps to weed out freelancers.

If you're more interested in the ability to get some kind of credit for telling your friends than the quality and quantity of work available on the site, you might be better suited to multi-level marketing than freelancing.

Hi Tiffany,

Wow! You make an awful lot of ridiculous assumptions here, Is that your specialty here on Upwork? I asked a simple and honest question with no intentions implied. There are many many reputable work sites that have referral or Refer a friend programs. 

I don't need to explain anything to you but I will explain my intentions to the rest of the readers. First of all, I don't consider myself a freelancer. I have just started a Virtual Assistant business and I have found some good opportunites that I am working towards here on Upwork. I don't consider myself a freelancer although by definition everyone here doing jobs on Upwork is a freelancer.

A freelancer or freelance worker is a term commonly used for a person who is self-employed and is not necessarily committed to a particular employer long-term. 

I realize how much competition there is for jobs here. I see the numbers. 

I find the folowing comments insulting and unneccessary:

"If you're more interested in the ability to get some kind of credit for telling your friends than the quality and quantity of work available on the site, you might be better suited to multi-level marketing than freelancing."

How do you know what my interntions are? I have a few friends who like the site and have some skills that some of the job opportunites could use. I thought ft there was a Refer a freind program, I would send them a link. How does that translate to my being greedy and only interest in getting credit for telling my friends?  How does that imply that I am not interested in the quality and the quanity of work available? I would not even refer a friend if I knew they were not able to offer anything to Upwork. They would "weed" themselves out.

I think your comments are way off base when all I needed was a "yes, we have one" or "no, we don't have one" was sufficient. I didn't your attitude and your insulting comments. 

Have a nice day. 

Brenda, I'm really sorry you didn't bother to read the post above mine before taking the time to write that novella in response to the comment I made to someone else.

In my world, that's a $90-120 post you've written.

I didn't read past the opening line about assumptions, but did want to clarify that I was responding to the comment immediately above mine, in which the poster clearly stated (see, no assumptions here!) that she was considering leaving Upwork for a platform with an affiliate/referral program.

Perhaps in the future you should make sure you clarify the target of your post.  Nevertheless, whether it was directed at me or someone else. it was not neccessary to degrade someone for their interests or ideas. I did read all the posts. However, I did not take offense or make assumptions about what she wrote or what her intentions are. Believe me, I do not mean any disrespect to you or anyone else here on Upwork. I just don't like to see assumptions made without facts behind them. 

@Brenda B wrote:

Hi Tiffany,

Wow! You make an awful lot of ridiculous assumptions here, Is that your specialty here on Upwork? I asked a simple and honest question with no intentions implied. There are many many reputable work sites that have referral or Refer a friend programs. 

I don't need to explain anything to you but I will explain my intentions to the rest of the readers. First of all, I don't consider myself a freelancer. I have just started a Virtual Assistant business and I have found some good opportunites that I am working towards here on Upwork. I don't consider myself a freelancer although by definition everyone here doing jobs on Upwork is a freelancer.

A freelancer or freelance worker is a term commonly used for a person who is self-employed and is not necessarily committed to a particular employer long-term. 

I realize how much competition there is for jobs here. I see the numbers. 

I find the folowing comments insulting and unneccessary:

"If you're more interested in the ability to get some kind of credit for telling your friends than the quality and quantity of work available on the site, you might be better suited to multi-level marketing than freelancing."

How do you know what my interntions are? I have a few friends who like the site and have some skills that some of the job opportunites could use. I thought ft there was a Refer a freind program, I would send them a link. How does that translate to my being greedy and only interest in getting credit for telling my friends?  How does that imply that I am not interested in the quality and the quanity of work available? I would not even refer a friend if I knew they were not able to offer anything to Upwork. They would "weed" themselves out.

I think your comments are way off base when all I needed was a "yes, we have one" or "no, we don't have one" was sufficient. I didn't your attitude and your insulting comments. 

Have a nice day. 

Interesting....

If you're taking jobs on a per project basis, and you're not directly employed by the person or company who is paying you to complete the project, are you not a freelancer?

Even if you state "I'm an independent contractor," isn't that freelancing?

I own a business as well -- my business is working as an independent contractor for particular clients. Ergo, I'm a freelancer.

Didn't I just say that? I don't consider myself just a freelancer but we are all freelancers by definition. I agree with you.

No.

You didn't.

That's why I'm asking (politely, actually) for you to clarify your definition of a "freelancer" given the contradiction in your statement. 

That's all 😉

You say you don't consider yourself a freelancer (which, I understand from a purely individual psychological point of view, we can all consider ourselves as either in a classification or not).

But, here you are, taking projects as an independent contractor on a freelancing platform. 

Though I can't speak for everyone on the platform, many of us aren't "just" freelancers. This is but a single dimension of the multi-dimensional aspects of being human. 

This was in my post and this is my definition of a freelancer. Yes, we are all freelancers, independent contractors, whatever name you want to call it. We all are self-employed under these terms.

@Brenda B wrote:

This was in my post and this is my definition of a freelancer. Yes, we are all freelancers, independent contractors, whatever name you want to call it. We all are self-employed under these terms.

Yes. I see.

I was attending to the contradiction that you don't consider yourself as such.

And yet, speaking of evidence, here you are. 

Not all evidence is purely verbal.

Actions are also a substantiation as a comparative between what someone is saying and what is actually occurring. 

Just as an FYI -- should this conversation continue, a moderator will probably halt the thread.

@Kat C wrote:

@Brenda B wrote:

Yes. I see.

Actions are also a substantiation as a comparative between what someone is saying and what is actually occurring. 

Just as an FYI -- should this conversation continue, a moderator will probably halt the thread.

I hope not ... it's just getting interesting. I want to find out if I can call myself something other than a self-employed freelancer - that would help come tax time next year. Smiley Tongue

@Virginia F wrote:

@Kat C wrote:

@Brenda B wrote:

Yes. I see.

I hope not ... it's just getting interesting. I want to find out if I can call myself something other than a self-employed freelancer - that would help come tax time next year. Smiley Tongue

I'm officially declaring my cognitive love for you Virginia...

LOL!!

@Kat C wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

@Kat C wrote:

@Brenda B wrote:

Yes. I see.

I'm officially declaring my cognitive love for you Virginia...

LOL!!

Aw, back at you, Kat!

Getting back to the title of this thread - I don't want to lose friends.

The first question asked by the active member is nothing but just a question of request that if there is a refer friend and earn program in upwork. Please just answer in a polite form and everything will be settled.

Hi BP,

I can confirm that we don't have a referral program in place.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

yes she did

Tiffany,

First and foremost, I am NOT a freelancer. I actually HIRE people here on Upwork. I've had several people come to me to start using their service when hiring freelancers. I stayed true to Upwork. That is, until I just read your comment here.

You don't need to be a "multi level marketing" to offer an affiliate program. Companies like Walmart, Amazon and many, many others offer affiliate programs. I am a CEO of an internet based business. Part of our company income comes from being an affiliate to many products and services in our industry. Because of this, I am able to hire people on Upwork. Which in return, helps them feed their families. 

Thanks to this post that I just happen to come across, I had to tell TWO freelancers that I will not be hiring them now because I will not be using this site moving forward.

I currently have 2 active freelancers that I am going to have to let go now as well. Congrats UpWork, good job on what you just did to 4 of your freelancers.

Hopefully, Upwork will be smart and have you, Tiffany, moved to another job or fire you all together. If someone on my team spoke to a customer the way you did, I would have fired them. 

Melinda Martin

Hi Melinda,

Sorry to hear that you feel this way. I'd just like to clarify that this is a public Community where Upwork freelancers can comment and share their questions, opinions and suggestions as long as they are within our Community Guidelines. Official Upwork representatives (like myself and Vladimir on this thread) will have a title and an Upwork badge showing next to their posts.

~Nina

I think perhaps this should be a little bit more prominent?

I was just going to ask the same question because I help lead 180 programmers and artists so if I was going to share my network with Upwork I would want something back.

The logic of "we don't do referral because we are getting rid of low quality workers" does not make any sense whatsoever.

I understand very clearly this is member to member forum, perhaps the problem is there shouldn't be a forum for such competition if the freelancers are just going to destroy each other and make fools of themselves? This does reflect badly on Upwork. No way around it.

@Melinda M wrote:

Thanks to this post that I just happen to come across, I had to tell TWO freelancers that I will not be hiring them now because I will not be using this site moving forward.

I currently have 2 active freelancers that I am going to have to let go now as well. Congrats UpWork, good job on what you just did to 4 of your freelancers.

This is a member discussion forum.

If you decide to fire people because a year ago a random platform user said something to another platform user in a member discussion that doesn't affect you and is long ended anyway, just because you don't like it, then that's on you.

It's certainly nothing short of bizzare, but there you go. Your decision.

It's really PATHETIC to just witness the way you guys talk about affiliate marketing.

It's like you are thinking of it as some scam, a way to deceive someone or something that is "Below Your Belt".

It's simple. If I like a product and I recommend it to my friend, my friend won't mind if I make a few bucks out of it. 

It's on us if we wish to promote Upwork or not. There are platforms like Freelancer which do have a refer a friend program. According to you, they don't have the quality it takes to make it without affiliates.

Our referrals don't have a problem with us making money. So you can keep your opinion on what we are suited in your pockets.

You don't get to tell us what we are suitable for. She asked a question, give a direct answer. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths