🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Refund Issue
Page options
sabasadaf
Community Member

Refund Issue

Hi Upwork,

I have a problem. Today I received a notification about refund. I have not refunded any money to anyone then why is this all happening? Is refunding not in freelancers' control here?

Please explain.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

That normally means your client failed to pay Upwork for your work, and your hours did not qualify for the hourly protection, so Upwork don't pay you out of their own pocket.

To qualify for protection the hours have to be logged with the tracker (NOT manual time) and have sufficient activity, all screenshots have to be related to the work and there have to be meaningful work memos.

If any one of the above do not apply, you don't get paid unless your client comes back and sorts it out.

It seems only a part of the payment was refunded, this means the rest of your work diary did qualify for the protection and Upwork is paying you out of their own pocket.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Saba,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Petra is right, unfortunately, some payments are not covered by Hourly Payment Protection. Please refer to this support ticket, where one of our agents already advised you regarding your reversed funds. Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
sabasadaf
Community Member

I had asked upwork officials to clear my payments from a client whose payment method was not verified. But instead of helping me, this bloody system has cut my own money as refund to that client.He did not pay me a single penny than why my amount has been deducted and refunded to that **bleep**. What the hell is wrong with this system. Instead of helping me, your system, in fact worst system has deducted my money. Refund and the website commission and my balance went to NEGATIVE.You are not going to help me or anyone. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Saba,

Once the pending transaction clear, your balance should be positive once again. We'll also follow up with our Dispute team about your situation and they will update you via the ticket you submitted with more information.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths