🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Refund?
Page options
josephlevy
Community Member

Refund?

I am new to Upwork and have a customer who is requesting a refund. I would like to consult with to know if that is a fair request based on the work I delivered before I answer her

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

@Joseph L wrote:

I am new to Upwork and have a customer who is requesting a refund. I would like to consult with to know if that is a fair request based on the work I delivered before I answer her

When you asked your client for the reason for that request, what did your client tell you?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Joseph:

You are doing the right thing to come and ask about this in the Forum. Feel free to ask as many questions about this as you want to.

The truth of the matter is, MOST clients on Upwork are great! But SOME clients don't get it. Some clients make refund requests that are very inappropriate.

But either way, we as freelancers must deal with the situation thoughtfully and tactfully.

Quick rule of thumb for clients:

If a client hires a freelancer to do something, and he does it, then the client should pay for the work.

Quick tip for freelancers:

If a client asks for a refund, maybe you can offer a partial refund, and end the matter relatively amicably.

Example:

Client: "I really thought this article would be 10 pages long. That is what I asked for. I would like a refund."

Freelancer: "I'm sorry you were not completely satisfied with the results. The article is 9 pages long. You are correct, that it wasn't 10 pages. What if you paid only 80% of the amount we had agreed to?"

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths