cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refundable deposit

Gemma H Member Since: Oct 24, 2016
1 of 8

Hi there

I've been followed up with by a company but the contract states that there is a refundable security deposit and I just wondered if that was normal?

Thanks in advance

Gem

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 8

scam

Gemma H Member Since: Oct 24, 2016
3 of 8

Thank you for clarifying.  I did think it looked fishy but didn't want to decline before I had checked in with those who have experience of the site.

Gem

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 8

Hi Gemma,

It's against Upwork ToS for a client to require any payment from the freelancer for an interview. Please, check out this post to learn more about how to avoid questionable jobs and I'll follow up with the team to make sure the client you were referring to is reviewed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Cristalle F Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
5 of 8

Hello!

I have come across a client too that requires a refundable deposit. However, when I asked if it's possible not to have one I was responded to keep my offer with me.

Here's the link of the Work Offer:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Please have this subject for a review and so the platfrom would be free from any form of scam or violations to Upwork policies. Thank you.

-Cris

PS. Attached is the email sent to me dismissing my proposition.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 8

Hi Cris,

This is clear violation of Upwork ToS and I'll ask our team to remove the job/client from the platform asap. Thanks for the heads up and for providing a screenshot of their message. Please feel free to report these jobs directly to Customer Support or flag them by using the link on the job post page. It looks like you're aware of our ToS and guidelines, but I'll share our safety tips and new freelancer resources here just as well.

Mayden E Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
7 of 8

Hi,

I have encounter a job offer asking me for a refundable security as well.

Shall I put the link here of the job?

It's my first time to get a reply from upwork and never thought that 25USD is needed for refundable security. Of course I didnt accept it coz it looks fishy. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Mayden,

Are you referring to the client from your most recent interview? If it's a different client, please report them to Customer Support and include the request they shared, which is a ToS violation. I'll ask our team to address the client I mentioned. 

Please make sure never to pay in order to start working on a job, only accept payments through Upwork and never start working without an active contract. Please review these safety tips and freelancer resources before bidding on new jobs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS