🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Regarding using a name variation
Page options
localizenow
Community Member

Regarding using a name variation

Outside of upwork I use a preferred name (a variation/short form of my legal name), it's the same name that gets listed in credits. I have a portfolio here on upwork where I'm credited by that exact name. But in the upwork guidelines it states that you must use your legal name on the site. So what should I do? Do I absolutely have to use my legal name exactly as it's spelled in my government issued ID? The name discrepancy will confuse my potential clients looking at my portfolio.

If anyone from upwork staff is reading this please advise.

1 REPLY 1
JoanneP

Hi Alex,

Freelancers are asked to provide their real name on Upwork. Please know that to set up a payment method, your verified name in Upwork must match the name on your payment account. Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. In some cases, we can resolve name discrepancies. Those scenarios are:

• You are using a common name variation – We’ll approve recognized name variations, like Robert/Bob or J.J./John Jacob, within 48 hours. If you use an unrecognized name variation or nickname, we’ll require that you verify your identity.

You can read this help article to learn more. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths