cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registering from China (Issues with Location, Phone)

Emily F Member Since: Dec 25, 2017
1 of 30

Hi there,

I'm trying to register for Upwork. My permanent address is in the United States, but I am living in China until July 2018. I don't have a US phone number, but I do have a Chinese one.  When I got to the address field, for some reason United States is auto-selected and greyed out - it will not let me change it to China.  I figured that was fine since my permanent address is there, but then when I got to the phone verification step it would not let me change the country code from +1 (US) to +86 (China). So I am stuck on this step.  I can't figure out how to change the country or the phone code, and can't seem to go any further without verifying my phone.  I've tried it with VPN off and with VPN on set to Hong Kong. Any help?

Thanks!

Emily

Manola S Member Since: Dec 25, 2017
2 of 30

i made it with my dominican phone...it s weird u can t

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 30

Hi Emily, 

I checked your account and it looks like when you registered your account, you were still in the United States which is why the address auto-populated US in the address field. 

If you are not permanently staying in China, there is no need to update your address. However, I would suggest that you inform your clients that you are currently travelling and you are in a different location for transparency's sake. 

-Avery
Untitled
4 of 30

Hi Avery,

I was in China when I registered the account, but my VPN defaults to America so that is likely why it autopopulated that way.  The problem is, I do not have an American phone number anymore and with the address field set to America it will not let me change the country code to verify my phone number and move on to the next step.  Is there a way to change the country code (currently defaulting to +1) to China (+86) so that I can verify and continue the registration process?  As I said, I've tried continuing the process with the VPN off and with it on set to Hong Kong and neither have allowed me to change the country or the phone country code.  Alternatively, is there a way I can continue the registration process without verifying a phone number?

Thanks for your help!

5 of 30

Thanks for sharing this, Emily. I'll check this with the team and I will get back to you with more information. 

-Avery
Untitled
6 of 30

Hi Emily, 

Could you send a screen grab where the country is greyed out and you're unable to change the country? Please make sure that all other personal information are blacked out. Thank you!

-Avery
Untitled
7 of 30

I can select it, but not delete it.upworkscreenshot.png

8 of 30

Thanks, Emily. I'll go ahead and share this with the team! 

-Avery
Untitled
9 of 30

Sorry for the delay in response, I didn't realize that the team had changed my location to China. I tried finishing out my application today, but whenever I clicked "Review and Submit" it redirected me to the application page. I didn't see any red markers to indicate I had entered anything wrong. It would not allow me to enter my current town as my location (I imagine Google doesn't recognize it because in China small towns are called "counties") so I selected the nearest big city to me. Not sure why it keeps redirecting me. Would it expedite the process to simply delete the account and try again, or to try signing up with a different email? I've included a screenshot of the page it keeps redirecting me to.

Joshua W Member Since: Aug 16, 2018
10 of 30

Hello, 

I am facing the very same issues while trying to sign up and was wondering if you would be able to help. 

Thank you,

Josh

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS