Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting Taxes with an EIN?

Active Member
Czyrus T Member Since: Sep 18, 2017
1 of 2

I recently got an EIN, at the advice of every freelancer I have come across. I done a lot of reading and what I don't get is when I file taxes, do I file one for my EIN and one for my SSN? Am I correct in assuming I will have to pay taxes twice?

Am I also correct in assuming that when using an EIN, that automatically makes me an Employee and Employer. And since that's the case, I would have withhold tax on myself by filing a W2, while at the same time filing taxes as a employee with my SSN?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 2

Hi Czyrus,


There are a few requirements you'd need to meet in order to be classified as an employee of your Upwork clients. So you may need to talk to a tax specialist to learn more about reporting your Upwork income. Check out this help article for more information.

~ Valeria