cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting unscrupulous employers

Tim P Member Since: Oct 20, 2017
1 of 8

Hello,

I've very recently joined the platform and have immediately had a bad experience.

I have been speaking with an employer for the past few days - the employer was leading me on to believe I was going to be hired on a largish job. I have been speaking with them for a number of hours over the past few days via video and messages giving them technical advice and guidance for their project.

At the end of our last call they told me that they are speaking to other freelancers. So basically they are going with someone else and are now equipped with all of the advice I gave them. I fully realise that I have been a sucker here and will learn from my mistake but this still, I feel, is poor behaviour on the side of the employer. Is there a way to and is it worth reporting this to UpWork?

Thanks

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Hi Tim,

I can advise you to check out the security section in this Thread to learn how to protect yourself.
About the client you can send me the job posting link via PM(click on my name) and our team will investigate this further.

Untitled

View solution in original post

Tim P Member Since: Oct 20, 2017
3 of 8

Hello, thanks for getting back to me.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 8

Hi Tim, 

I checked this with the team and asked for them to do an extensive review of the messages you have exchanged with this client. At this time, they have very little information to go by to take actions agains the client's account. 

But if you have communicated outside of Upwork that can be aused as evidence for free work abuse, the team can look into it again, and review and take actions accordingly. You may lodge a ticket with our support team if you have additional information you would like to share with the team. 

-Avery
Untitled
Ana Jhanina D Member Since: Jan 9, 2020
5 of 8

Hi Tim, I want to report a user that has now started harrasing. They interviewed me through Skype and told me that I was hired. They had given me tasks and asked me to collect datas for them. The conversation ended without them discussing out contract, payment arrangement or anything of the same sort, so I told them about the contract needed butngot no response. However on the day of deadline, they wanted.me to send the through skype which I was willing to do but reminded them of the contract needed. Then they replied thatbthey dont need anything from me and was surprised that I got this messages from them, please refer to the images below.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
6 of 8

Hi Ana,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. Our team will investigate your client further and proper actions will be taken. Thank you.

Untitled
Ana Jhanina D Member Since: Jan 9, 2020
7 of 8
Thank you for your response. Let me know if youll need anything from my end.
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 8

Tim,

Clients (they're not employers) can interview as many candidates as they wish. There's nothing to report. I'm not saying this is ethical of the client, but the onus is on you to know how to handle yourself and what you're willing to share at the interview stage. As an experienced freelancer, you should know how much (or how little) to communicate before you're officially hired.

Clients can express all kinds of interest and lead you on, but that does not make them beholden to hire you.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS